Sign in to follow this  
34th168

Info on Type - C Aircraft Sextant / Bausch & Lomb Optical Co.

Does anyone know about this particular aircraft sextant. I can't seem to find any information on it. The serial number is 223. The box it is in is marked with Japanese writing and the interior content sheet is also in Japanese. I was able to get a friend who reads and speaks Japanese to translate. The words on the lid are Bubble Sextant 1 Set and the interior sheet translates to Bubble sextant, 1 set

1 bubble sextant, 2 spare batteries, 2 spare bulbs. It appears to be a U.S. made box with the added Japanese words and sheets. If anyone knows about this type of sextant and what era it is, it would be appreciated. Also as to why a U.S. made sextant is cased and marked in Japanese.post-172938-0-82479300-1573232718_thumb.jpgpost-172938-0-82479300-1573232718_thumb.jpg

last photo....

any info on this sextant and box would be greatly appreciated. Looking for era and why box is marked in Japanese. Thanks

post-172938-0-21633200-1573233448_thumb.jpg

I could not find any reference to a Type C Sextant in the US military, that and the US Bureau of Standards marking make me think it is commercial. Judging by the color of the box probably purchased and used by the Japanese Self-defense Force. If your friend who translated it is young and had no trouble reading it isn't terribly old, if they are older they should be able to give you some idea as to the age by the style of writing. The Japanese language went through many changes after WWII, most young people can't read pre and WWII kanji

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

He did say it was "old" Japanese and said something about some of the symbols crossing over as Chinese. Further research shows the box construction is most likely 1940s or 1950s. It contains some of the same hardware as some of the Type A sextant boxes were made of.