My first M1917 helmet

Heptonic48

Hello everyone,

I've been wanting a good example of an M1917 helmet for a while so when I saw this one I decided to buy it. It hasn't arrived yet and I just wanted to know what you guys think about it. I'm not an expert and mostly collect M1 helmets so I want to know if I did good or not. I paid 150$ for it.

post-175278-0-55886600-1573192465_thumb.jpg

I think that is about a fair price for a 1917 in that condition but I honestly haven't been able to figure out their prices yet because they seem to be all over the board. However, that is definitely a really nice helmet in great condition. I think it was a good purchase.

They're getting harder to find in this condition. It looks like there might be some packing paper stuck to the liner, so it's possible this one was never issued.

ZJ is a fairly scarce code only seen on helmets that were manufactured very late.

Thank you all for your replies! I'm very excited to get this helmet in the mail. It will be the first WW1 helmet in my collection.

I think you were probably on the high side for these, but that being said it looks like you've got yourself a really nice example. The way I see it, if you're only going to have one or two in your collection you may as well get a good example. I really like how this one still has the liner tag intact!

Im not sure about the prices on these since the prices are all over the place like Ray42 mentioned, but I passed up another M1917 I saw and didn't want to pass up this one too. Most of the M1917s I found had rotted out liners and had little or none of the original paint left which is to be expected since there over a hundred years old now. I don't know if I will collect more m1917s, but Im happy to have a nice example of one in my collection. I actually didn't know you could find unissued m1917s.

Be careful... They tend to grow on you and multiply..... Take up a lot of room too... Can't stand them....! Actually, my wife can't stand them.... I love em. Regards, Chris

post-5954-0-75024600-1573442290_thumb.jpg

Be careful... They tend to grow on you and multiply..... Take up a lot of room too... Can't stand them....! Actually, my wife can't stand them.... I love em. Regards, Chris

Thats a nice collection of M1917s you have there Chris! I said the same thing about M1 helmets when I bought my first one and now I have a shelf full of them. ?

Thats a nice collection of M1917s you have there Chris! I said the same thing about M1 helmets when I bought my first one and now I have a shelf full of them. ?

Thank you, and I have more... You do realize that you will too now...! You have not bought your last one. Best deal out there now are WW1 helmets.... They are still sleepers.... I thought the 100 anniversary of that war would bump prices up... Nope. Lot's of great divisional M17's out there on Ebay for a song. And of even maybe more interest are the marked helmets, the M17's from between the wars, another topic in themselves and some very cool lids to pick up here and there. Regards, Chris