Task Force Smith Korean War Purple Heart

mkite93

I'm new to the forum and wanted to start off with a post about something I picked up awhile back. I have done some reasarch but maybe there's someone out there that might be able to dig up something I couldn't. This KIA Purple Heart means a lot to me as I am from Florida and this is the only one I have where the soldier is from Florida as well. So what I know about him, he is corporal Ernest Cunningham from Mulberry FL. He was artillery with the 24th infantry division in Korea and was killed just days into the Korean War. He was an only child and his parents appeared to be very proud of their sons service with how they had his medal set up and displayed. If anyone has any more information they could find that would be greatly appreciated just though I would share it with everyone. Thank you

post-263963-0-04092700-1573181274_thumb.jpeg

post-263963-0-07529400-1573181292_thumb.jpeg

Outstanding group ! What I know about Task force Smith it was a unit of about 400 men from Japan rushed in to slow up the North Korean drive . They had only light bazookas against T34 tanks .

Very limited anti tank rounds for 105 mm guns . Most losses happen in the withdrawal when T34s broke through .

Thank You! From what I've read it looks like the date of his casualty put him in the middle of the withdrawal. Thanks for the input.

Thanks for posting and welcome. The machine engraving on your 1950 medal, to my limited knowledge of PH engraving styles appears to be late WW II. I'm wondering how far into the 50's that style was used on KIA Army PHs.

Captainofthe7th

Always nice to see a Korean War heart. Cunningham was with B Btry 52d Field Artillery and by 16 July they were at the Kum River supporting 19th Infantry (so about a week after TF Smith). The first couple months were really hard on the gunners (everyone, I guess) but I appreciate all the stories of artillerymen defending their pieces in close combat.

Maybe you've seen this entry by a soldier who remembers him:

On the 13 July the 19th Infantry Regiment relieved the 21st and the 21st was ordered to the Taejon air strip for reorganize and to be reequip On the 16 July 1950 Ernest was east of the Yongau River south east of Tuman-ri with the 52nd Field Artillery Battalion.The Battalion was attached to the 13th Field Artillery Battalion in support of the 19th Infantry Regiment.On the 16 the 52nd was hit by heavy three prong enemy attack from the NK 3d Infantry Division.At 1500 hour the battalion began to move to to move to another fireing position with B battery was the first unit to move they ran into a enemy road block only one howitzer made it through.The battalion took heavy casualties the most of them were in B Battery.Cpl Cunningham was kill in the fighting at the road block sign 40 yards"

https://www.koreanwar.org/html/korean_war_project_remembrance_results_2017.html

Rob

Thanks Rob. I hadn't seen that. Somehow I overlooked that while doing my reaserch on it. Hard to imagine them doing everything they can to stop the North Koreans and still being over ran. I know early in the war the US was under equipped and just trying to get a foothold to make a stand. Thank you.

Captainofthe7th

Very happy to provide the link. I think early Korean War campaign is comparable to some of what was going on the Pacific in 1941 and 42 in the Philippines, Wake and Malaya...just incredible retrograde stuff with a lot of poor guys in the rear guard. And all facing a really experienced, motivated an ruthless enemy.

Rob

Thank you for sharing a fellow Floridian's story! Purple Hearts for Floridians are not the easiest thing to find, and I'm always happy to see them with someone who honors their sacrifice.

• 2 years later...

Bringing this one back up on the anniversary of this soldiers death in the early days of the Korean War. 9FA1AB4B-0594-4ECF-8448-C5341768DF31.jpeg.379463c2d0b36690a04d342d6bfe5ec1.jpeg