Named SCV War Service Medal

hink441

Thank you 4th Miss Cav.

I am not a member of the SCV but I recently researched my Great Great Grandfather who was with the 12th Va. infantry (1861) then went to Pegram's Light Artillery. He survived the war and is buried in Petersburg. Coincidently the man who owned this medal is also buried in Petersburg. While looking online at the gravesites I found a possible link to the two families. It is possible that Mr. Wilfred Mann is related to my family. I think I will also look into joining the SCV.

Chris

Chris,

I have seen these badges with issue numbers before, but not with both issue number and the recipient's name machine engraved on it. This is really nice. The possible personal connection is even more fantastic.

Thank you for sharing.

Kevin

Thank you Kevin. I will have to research some more to find out conclusively if Mr. Mann is related.

I was shocked at the price of this medal. It was dirt cheap, less than $5.00. I guess these medals are not politically popular right now.

Chris

Great medal, my camp is currently working on awarding these to all of the eligible veterans. I am a 6 yr member here in Michigan if you can believe that! We have two camps currently. I belong to 1321 MG Patrick Ronayne Cleburne. My ancestors were with the 3rd Kentucky Cav under Morgan and the 3rd Kentucky Mounted Rifles under Forrest. I guess my people didn't like to walk!

Deo Vindice!

Scott

As a side note, I received the Meritorious Service Medal and the Heritage Defense Medal this year at the National Convention. What an honor and surprise it was. I had a bit of a public spat with Senator Gary Peters earlier this year when he disrespected a group of WWII Vets. He was scheduled to appear at my museum and backed out last minute because a military museum had the nerve to display the ANV flag! Needless to say it made the media as did my letter to his office with a history lesson. Did you know his ancestors the Garretts owned the farm where Booth was killed? His Mother was a proud Garrett and the Garretts were proud to have housed Booth. It made for a great letter! Scott

Hi Scott,

That is a funny story regarding the Senator and his own family history.

Are the medals that you are providing for your members engraved with the individual's name-also?

Chris

Very nice! Great medal! Wish I were a member but my GGFather was just a bit older but 3 son's served and 2 were KIA Mississippi Infantry ( My GGUncles ).

Hi Scott,

That is a funny story regarding the Senator and his own family history.

Are the medals that you are providing for your members engraved with the individual's name-also?

Chris

I don't believe they will be engraved. As for numbers I don't know? I guess we have to see if they come that way from HQ. Scott

Very nice! Great medal! Wish I were a member but my GGFather was just a bit older but 3 son's served and 2 were KIA Mississippi Infantry ( My GGUncles ).

flytiger,

You can join the SCV under your uncles. Which Mississippi regiment did they serve in just curious.

So I just noticed that the bottom of the back says "by the Sons of Confederate Veterans for military service in..." If you Google this medal you will see that it can also be engraved as to what war or conflict. There is one in the images that is named, numbered and engraved for Lebanon. Pretty interesting! Scott