WW1 USMC Officer Overseas Cap Marine Corps Red Piping?

nchistory

USMC Officers overseas cap. Ega on right, Lt bar added by myself as holes and stains looks like a LT bar once adorned this cap. Anyway piping looks gold/red/orange???? Under black light is looks reddish or so. Possible dye fade over past 100 years. EGA been there awhile with oxidation stains. Maybe late model America’s style. Thoughts ?

post-153086-0-41070400-1573150991_thumb.jpgpost-153086-0-77106900-1573151016_thumb.jpgpost-153086-0-16287100-1573151044.jpgpost-153086-0-72502600-1573151064.jpgpost-153086-0-76780900-1573151078.jpg

that's an enlisted bird

Thanks for the information on the ega. So was it a bad call thinking this was an officer cap?? I was thinking the piping was officer, but maybe given the ega, this could be just an enlisted one? Thanks for your thoughts.

I’m going to have to agree, looks like an army cap to me. All of the WWI officers caps I have seen are in a very distinctive forest green, this one looks more OD. The piping doesn’t look like the ones I have seen on Marine Officers caps as well. Sorry, just my two cents.

I’m going to have to agree, looks like an army cap to me. All of the WWI officers caps I have seen are in a very distinctive forest green, this one looks more OD. The piping doesn’t look like the ones I have seen on Marine Officers caps as well. Sorry, just my two cents.

No issue, thanks for your input. Color almost a mustard I would guess. So would an enlisted use an officers cap or was it most likely an officer's? Thanks for your help.

Marines did use some army uniforms during supply shortages in the height of the fighting. The bigger question is whether the distinctive red and gold piping used by Marine officers during this time period was ever placed on an army o/s hat and I don't recall ever seeing that myself. If you are forced to use army gear due to supply problems, why go to the trouble of placing Marine specific braid on an army o/s hat if you know what I mean.

The red and gold piping was used on Marine officer's overseas caps during WWI in some cases, but this cap has the enlisted EGA on the wrong side of the cap and the piping is not the officers red and gold type.

s/f Robert

This is the piping I'd expect to see on a WWI USMC Officers cap, and the side the EGA would typically be found on. The material is US Army, not Marine forest green.

s/f Robert

post-158761-0-15141500-1573287907.jpg

The red and gold piping was used on Marine officer's overseas caps during WWI in some cases, but this cap has the enlisted EGA on the wrong side of the cap and the piping is not the officers red and gold type.

s/f Robert

Thank you, and I don't disagree about placement of ega, yet in WW1 if regulated it was lax, as I've seen several Officers wear ega on right, rank on left.