I have a W.A.Z. lowe Drawing that I need any info about !?

I have this W.A.Z. Lowe drawing that I got at a garage sale.

It looks like some sort of illustration of a bunch of inside jokes about Col. Arthur B. Tarrow.

It has a date of June 8 , 1965 . And it says he was a Medical Illustrator at Wilford Hall USHF Hospital.

Does anybody know anything about this drawing or the artist W.A.Z. Lowe or were I can find out more about him ?

Many thanks, T.E.B. !

post-264511-0-06763500-1573048814_thumb.jpg

post-264511-0-21810300-1573048815_thumb.jpg

The drawing is a typical going-away gift in Air Force units at the time, although this style mostly faded out in the early 1970s. Any unit with access to a graphics shop had some illustrator skilled at this type of work. I doubt that you'll find much about the artist's work as a medical illustrator. but he may have had an artistic career outside of his primary employment.

Colonel Tarrow was apparently a prolific author in medical journals on topics relating to anesthesia.. Born 19 Oct 1917, he died 9 March 2009 and is buried in Arlington.

Jeff Floyd

The universe is made up of neutrons, protons, electrons and morons

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

Looking at the drawing made me think "illustrator" rather than "artist." And in fact I found a census listing for a sign painter by the name of William AZ Lowe from San Antonio, where Wilford Hall is located. I'd guess he was a career civilian employee of the Air Force. He was working for the WPA (Work Projects Administration) at an "airfield" (likely Kelly Air Base) during the 1940 census

Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 6.58.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 6.45.23 AM.png

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

donation2019.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I have decided to sell the Col. Arthur B. Tarrow Original Retirement Caricature drawing .

I'm a newby and can't post on this sites sell/buy area .

If you should decide to look at my Ebay auction you will notice that I have drawn heavily from the information from this forum, thank you very much for said information . I hope you don't mind !

Thanks for hopefully looking !

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123987398457?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

• 3 weeks later...

In the spirit of being helpful I will be bold and say that your price is way too high.

Even if I owned a group from the retired officer and that picture would fit in real nice with the display I would want to pay less or I would pass.

I’ve had numerous loose (not part of a group) drawings like these over the years and I find them a hard sell.

There is nothing humble about my opinion (I try to be humble, I even wrote a book about my humility but I ran out of pages to fit all the pictures of me) but that’s my experience.

donation2013.gif

Source: FamilySearch.org

n1.jpg

donation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Specific areas of collecting and buying interest:

WWI/WWII 40th (Sunshine) Division, Camp Kearny, Camp Harry Jones, WWI/WWII 158th Infantry, USS Oklahoma, USS Swordfish (SS-193), Pearl Harbor Survivors Association, Mexican Border (1916),

Norman Air Technical Training Center (NATTC) Norman, OK, Tinker Field or AFB, Submariner Items, Knives, Bayonets, Sweetheart Jewelry, other unique

or odd items with interesting stories.

n2.jpg

WWI/WWII 40th (Sunshine) Division, Camp Kearny, Camp Harry Jones, WWI/WWII 158th Infantry, USS Oklahoma, USS Swordfish (SS-193), Pearl Harbor Survivors Association, Mexican Border (1916),

Norman Air Technical Training Center (NATTC) Norman, OK, Tinker Field or AFB, Submariner Items, Knives, Bayonets, Sweetheart Jewelry, other unique

n3.jpg

n4.jpg

n5.jpg

n6.jpg

n7.jpg

n8.jpg

n11.jpg

n9.jpg

n10.jpg

Source: Find-A-Grave

n12.jpg

Source: http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download;jsessionid=C606A5B298616ADA7A11EC1C3820FF80?doi=10.1.1.561.9769&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Acknowledgments : Gratitude is expressed to Dr Alan Stone, U.S. National Museum for our extensive use of his reference material, and to Mr William A. Z. Lowe and Airman Thomas C. Lincoln, Jr of the Illustration Section, Wilford Hall USAF Hospital, for the pictorial figures.

I see that more info has been added about W.A.Z. Lowe ! Thanks !

Looks like he passed away at 61 years old of diabetes .

Weird feeling ....I'm just past 60 and diabetes runs in my family !

I don't have it yet !

About the price of the drawing. Since I have absolutely no idea of it's value/worth .....ya gotta start somewhere ! I'm really selling for a friend, I told her I'de get the most I could for her !

Thanks for everything !

Ted

Source: NewspaperArchives.com

n1.jpg

n2.jpg

Source: NewspaperArchives.com

n3.jpg

n4.jpg