TUNISIE Tab WWII ? What SSI does it go over ? Help ID

redone

Hello. Does anyone know what SSI this tab was worn above. I was told it was WWII vintage made in Africa. Is that correct ?

Thank you.

post-1056-0-81788200-1572976684.jpg

post-1056-0-93134900-1572976694.jpg

I have one very similar to that, but its more exact sewing and it has metal hooks on the backside common with CBI patches. I was under the impression it was WWII-era French military.

Yes 34th div, I have one just like it with 34th div patch.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Thank you. Is your patch made of the same material as the patch ?

I have one very similar to that, but its more exact sewing and it has metal hooks on the backside common with CBI patches. I was under the impression it was WWII-era French military.

Thank you.

BILL THE PATCH

Anyone think this is for a French soldier to wear on HIS uniform? 

I don't, I thought they were always associated with the 34th or any US units in North Africa. But I'm probably wrong. Lol

It looks french indeed. I would guess that the 34th US Inf.division adopted the tab like the 509th AIB adopted the 9th zouaves crest.

This tab looks very much like the various french tabs for the african countries (algerie, tunisie ,maroc, tchad,madagascar, etc...).

I'm coming to the party a bit late on this one, but I keep wondering WHY do we keep trying to make this piece of FRENCH insignia a US patch? I double dog dare anyone to find a period photo of this tab being worn by an American on a US uniform. OK, I TRIPLE dog dare someone to do so. Tredhed gave us the answer- it is French. It was worn by the French. It has NOTHING to do with the 34th Infantry Division or any other WWII US unit.

Sometimes, OK, almost all of the time, a piece of foreign insignia is only a piece of foreign insignia.

My two cents,

Allan

BILL THE PATCH

Thank you. Is your patch made of the same material as the patch ?

Sorry it took so long, here is what I have. Came togetherPosted Image