The “Holy Grail” of Raider helmets

ArchangelDM

I read the posts about helmets in order to try to learn something beneficial but it seems that half of the time I am having to filter through all of the contentious comments to get to something valuable. Some people just cannot help themselves with comments.

Really? Half the time? I'd say it is less than 5% of the time. Contentiousness is part of helmet collecting. When accusations start flying, we just put on one of our helmets and duck. ;)

Seriously, here on the USMF, it stays pretty docile and the mods do a good job in keeping it that way. Sometimes it just has to get a bit heated but generally it isn't bad. Now if you want a good fight, you have to go to the pros on one of the German helmet collecting sites. Those are truly popcorn worthy threads.

I read the posts about helmets in order to try to learn something beneficial but it seems that half of the time I am having to filter through all of the contentious comments to get to something valuable. Some people just cannot help themselves with comments.

That maybe the reason some helmet collectors do not post here.

Yea the thing that strikes me is all the rudeness. Someone posts something and you have members here making personal attacks.

Dean took a lot of grief. And he handled it like an adult. In an adult manner.

Some of these posts are priceless. A long paragraph explaining the rudeness which starts out with a disclaimer that "This is not a personal dig so please dont take it that way"

If you read the not personal dig.. well there sure is alot of it in there and seems like something like that should have been kept in a private message to Dean.

Perhaps thats the way it is in here?

Seems you could give advice opinions and critique about some in animate object without being personally rude to the person who presents it.

I didnt know we had to watch how we title a post??

Il remember the PC rules of helmet collecting before I risk another helmet post.

In the book... The armed forces officer.. Printed by the armed forces information service Department of defense. It states that one of the traits of a good officer is that you do not take your position or yourself too seriously.

Thats for people who sign for peoples lives and equipment.

We are collecting helmets here people.

Its fun to me. But to some its deadly serious. At the expense of people.

Over Helmets.

Yea the thing that strikes me is all the rudeness. Someone posts something and you have members here making personal attacks.

Some of these posts are priceless. A long paragraph explaining the rudeness which starts out with a disclaimer that "This is not a personal dig so please dont take it that way"

If you read the not personal dig.. well there sure is alot of it in there and seems like something like that should have been kept in a private message to Dean.

Seems you could give advice opinions and critique about some in animate object without being personally rude to the person who presents it.

Il remember the PC rules of helmet collecting before I risk another helmet post.

In the book... The armed forces officer.. Printed by the armed forces information service Department of defense. It states that one of the traits of a good officer is that you do not take your position or yourself too seriously.

Over Helmets.

I spoken with Dean via PM and read his response posts here. Dean isn't offended so why are you? Time to move on and get back to this helmet discussion. Or we can close it, it's up to you.

I spoken with Dean via PM and read his response posts here. Dean isn't offended so why are you? Time to move on and get back to this helmet discussion. Or we can close it, it's up to you.

Im not in charge of anything. Im just offering up how I see it.

If thats not allowed then you should let me know.

LOL.

I do think this raises a good point though, about the chase for the beleaguered Holy Grail. I do think it is a slippery slope when one is after the super-commando-mega-trooper stuff. Where there is loot to be had, humpers are hard at work to deceive. Where there is a lot of deception, there is a lot of skepticism - rightfully so.

Personally, I will stick with the *ordinary* examples, as anyone who served in WWII is a hero in my book. As we said when I was in, everybody is infantry once we see the enemy. Clerk, cook, supply, commo - all grunts.

Everybody has to pick their own collecting path. My goal is not to impress others, which is probably why helmets worth thousands are no better than ones worth $100 in my mind - especially since these are all artificial values we apply to this stuff anyway...

Enjoy what you collect, and post pics and get opinions FIRST. It will likely save you a lot of money and headaches.

It's a helmet thing, we wouldn't expect you to understand. :)

Seriously, here on the USMF, it stays pretty docile and the mods do a good job in keeping it that way. Sometimes it just has to get a bit heated but generally it isn't bad. Now if you want a good fight, you have to go to the pros on one of the German helmet collecting sites. Those are truly popcorn worthy threads.

I agree. I am a casual lurker here. I dabble in M1's. My focus for 35 years has always been on WWII german helmets. As the volume and quality of fakes has increased, and as the demand and desire (bordering on infatuation) for the exotic and the titillating has increased, so have the threads in that community that resemble this one.

There's a good chance that a thread with "Holy Grail" in the title is going to attract a lot of attention and then when you see the pics and understand the background and learn there are 3 other "Holy Grails" very similar to it you begin looking for the rolling eyes emoji and the bowl of popcorn.

Sorry it didn't work out for the OP. I was skeptical, but hopeful he actually did discover his Holy Grail. Who wouldn't want that for a fellow collector?

Yea well.... Im sorry it didnt work out for Dean.

All in all the forum members did prevent a costly mistake. I've learned quite a bit. My newbie no nothing self thought it was real.... at first.......... Funny how the guy in the video threw those rare items about and manhandled the cap and seemed very careless with the hawley... Why would you handle rare expensive items in that manner???

Im slow but I catch on. ...

I rekon before you make a post

in the helmet section..... Its best to don your steel pot and a flak jacket and armored drawers and throw

it out there. Its a tough crowd in here but, everyone seems to mean well.

If I've offended with my post......if ive done some wrong in someones eyes........ in the spirit of collecting helmets.....

I'd just like to say...... Get over it!!! lol lol lol

:-)

A thread like this one does not come up everyday.

Most helmet threads are very placid and straight forward.

The question of where this work of art originated from has not been answered.

Everyone wants to talk about tone but avoids any question of origin.

Where did this come from?

Who at the MAX was peddling it?

Im sure there are people here who know.

But for some reason the tone rather than conclusions is more important.

Are we all on the same page that this helmet isnt correct?

If you arent I would like to know why?

If you are then lets find out who made this.

Over Helmets.

Whats RUDe about telling the truth and saving a member from his own short sighted bad buying skills.

Strong words need to be said to shake someone out of their coma.

Money was saved and a fake helmet was outed.

Pretty simple.

Should bad news be delivered by churbs riding on unicorns with rainbow sprinkles coming out of their magic place ?

Dean numerous times stated HE stood by the fake helmet.

Luckily he came to his senses and the membership saved him a 4 figure.

Yes 77 you focus on the negative not the positive result.

owen

Man ,

He also stated the pricing was too rich and moved on.

I believe he stated the table was not staffed which as you know is typical for a show !!

Like I said before pair may have been old but feel typical of a collection that the guy had one of everything made to order for a colecting shelf.

in other words made to order hump jobs.

That makes sense Owen.

Made to order.

That’s probably why they didn’t care about all that rust.

There’s a junkyard outside of Palmdale that has a bunch of rusty shells in several piles outside.

This one reminds me of those.

The comment "Made to Order" rings a bell. While I wanted the OP's helmet to be real, I saw some red flags so I was anticipating a good review when he got it in hand.

As for making a burlap cover, it's not hard. Some years ago I set out to put covers of varying types on some of my M1s; a camo parachute, a mosquito net. and a burlap cover. It's not hard to find 40-50 year old burlap at antique stores and fairs, and I have some WW2 twine and string that also isn't hard to find. I put together a burlap cover over a Vietnam era helmet with the idea that I'd get experience with the first one and make a second one for myself and sell the first one at a local show for $60 or so. The first one turned out nicely, so I just stopped there and put it on the shelf. I can see someone asking someone else who is skilled to make them a helmet set for their own enjoyment, and then when the collection is liquidated, the helmet acquires a story and provenance that never existed. One of the things that will become harder and harder will be to discern the original from the repros after years of reenactor use.

As for the threads that pop up like this, I would like to compliment the moderators; they keep it real while keeping it on topic. It may get a little heated at times, but I learn a lot from the back and forth.

As for me, I mostly hang out at the Edge Weapons forum, pretty sedate there.

Yes 77 you focus on the negative not the positive result.

Hi Owen.

Thank you so much for the comment. Il take stock of it.

But I would like if I may to point something out that you may have missed because you

must have been focused on the negative in my posts?

So I'l pull this quote out of my last post in case it slipped past.

"Yea well.... Im sorry it didnt work out for Dean.

All in all the forum members did prevent a costly mistake."

Dave

Dave

I read you posts including above.

To me you just whiney post.

I didnt really see you try to help Dean with this fake helmet.

owen

Thats no Problem Owen....

Im wearing my helmet and flak jacket.

Im wearing my milk bone underwear.

You must have lost yours somewhere?

Take your own advice and stop whinning.

Futhermore I dont posses your knowledge and experience,

I was just excited to see it. Are you offended?

You are just proving my point that some folks are taking things like collecting helmets/....

A Bridge too far. Theres a way to give advice in a friendly manner. Theres a way to tell someone you think its fake. If they dont listen they dont. You are rude and thats a fact. You are being rude to me in your last post but thats acceptable.1

Its whining to you because you recognise how you deal with people. I didnt use your name but you take offense to my comment.

Thats why some wont post helmets here. Period. I wont make another post on here. And if the folks that own and run this forum deem me worthy of ouster then I wont make another post period. Seems like what goes on in the helmet section is lacking courtesy.

Common respect.. Bye now.

Dave

C'mon fellas, lets not get another helmet thread locked due to egos getting in the way.

So what about the other potential "raider" helmets that were discussed at the start of the thread?

Thats no Problem Owen....

Im wearing my helmet and flak jacket.

Im wearing my milk bone underwear.

You must have lost yours somewhere?

Take your own advice and stop whinning.

Futhermore I dont posses your knowledge and experience,

I was just excited to see it. Are you offended?

You are just proving my point that some folks are taking things like collecting helmets/....

A Bridge too far. Theres a way to give advice in a friendly manner. Theres a way to tell someone you think its fake. If they dont listen they dont. You are rude and thats a fact. You are being rude to me in your last post but thats acceptable.1

Its whining to you because you recognise how you deal with people. I didnt use your name but you take offense to my comment.

Thats why some wont post helmets here. Period. I wont make another post on here. And if the folks that own and run this forum deem me worthy of ouster then I wont make another post period. Seems like what goes on in the helmet section is lacking courtesy.

Common respect.. Bye now.

Dave

Mindless nonsense.

Grow up.

owen

C'mon fellas, lets not get another helmet thread locked due to egos getting in the way.

So what about the other potential "raider" helmets that were discussed at the start of the thread?

Brother

Look at all the helmets in a straight line together.

Notice a trend ?