The “Holy Grail” of Raider helmets

ArchangelDM

vintageproductions

Dean- What I am going to say is not meant as a dig so please don't take it that way, but take it as some friendly advice.

When you first posted this helmet, and many others, you started with the "Holy Grail". When a collector uses the term Holy Grail, they are making a statement that this is the best of the best and cannot be upgraded. When statements are made like that, and many others, it becomes a case of the "Boy who cried wolf". You keep making statements like this and eventually the membership starts ignoring you or gets tired and lashes out. We saw a bit of this on this thread.

I get it you were very excited and thought you had found the "Holy Grail". When questions started being asked about provenance, and you said what a great price you got it for and then you revealed you bought from a notorious company that sells fake items, the membership reacted as they should have. They started telling you to be careful, they told you about the sellers history, etc...Instead of listening you went on the defensive because you thought you got the best deal in the world and that the sellers did not sell fakes. In fact you kind of started defending them because you couldn't believe they would sell you a fake. It is standard practice with these fakers the lull you into their confidence and then sell you a piece way below what a real one would be, and to let you think that they just didn't realize what a treasure they had sold. One of the oldest games by fakers in the book.

Everyone is here to help each other other, but we have seen many times where the membership turns on a member because the member thinks they know more then anyone else. You are kind of always bragging about something you found for a bargain price and a bit of acting like you are slicker or look harder then any other member. When members try to give you advice, I guess you just think they are trying to "backdoor" you on your deal. I don't believe that at all, but you become way too defensive and turn a whole lot of other collectors against you. If your were just humble instead of always kind of being a braggart, everyone would happily help you. You have been on here long enough to know who really knows what they are talking about and others that just like to "talk / type' ones who really don't have the knowledge they think they have.

Again this is not meant as a slag on Dean thread, and I hope you don't take it that way. There have been many times I have had to swallow a huge piece of humble pie, it hurts, it stings, but at least for me, it has made me approach things a different way and learn from it.

Bob

Bob I agree with a lot of what you have said, while I feel it would have been better said in a PM I respect it and have taken it on board

Yours

Dean

Good on sending the fake helmet back.

Funny it took you long enough to share that information.

Hey O

Hope your well and thanks for your opinion again and help with this helmet via PM.

The information was shared with others via PM before this thread re opened, please speak with your Moderators.

Yours

Dean

The information was shared with others via PM before this thread re opened, please speak with your Moderators.

In the interest of openness, let me answer that, it was because the moderators DID NOT forget about this thread and when there was no more contact with us from the OP, we discussed it and a member of the Admin team contacted him, he did not contact us. This thread and the fake helmet touted as the Holy Grail, still needed to be addressed and not quietly pushed into the dark.

We may not like being duped and forced to admit a mistake but, clarity and openness are far better than hiding and hoping something goes away. This helmet is now marked and will now be harder for its current dubious owner to move on another under experienced collector.

Let me answer that, it was because the moderators DID NOT forget about this thread and when there was no more contact with us from the OP, a member of the Admin team contacted him. This thread and the fake helmet still needed to be addressed and not quietly pushed into the dark.

We may not like being duped and forced to admit a mistake but clarity and openness are far better than hiding and hoping something goes away. This helmet is now marked and will be harder now for its owner to move on another under experienced collector.

I agree Bugme

Regimentals now have the helmet back, if it resurfaces with better pics Im sure we can all have another more detailed look at it.

Lesson learned on making my Discussions on low res photos and posting with a stupid tag line.

Some members here where kind enough to point out some of the red flags in their opinion , Owen being one of them and also asked me to just send it back. Which is what has happened.

With regards to not hearing from me, I have had other things on my plate like family etc and also waiting on a refund. I apologise for my lateness, sometimes life gets in the way.

Once again it was my lateness not yours.

Robert was kind enough to reach out and I messaged him

Back immediately regarding this matter. Thats when it got reopened and I posted the message.

With regards to your comments of another inexperienced collector Im sorry you Have that opinion.

I suppose we are all just at different levels of learning, I still dont feel personally attacked on this thread so its all good.

No one wanted to push anything into the dark, I didnt open or ever have the helmet in hand so I have nothing to go off of only the photos shown.

Lesson learned

Yours

Dean

airborneguy44

I recall seeing this helmet in a video Regimentals made a few months back. They claim to have bought it at the MAX show from "a very reputable dealer"

Skip to 9:35 to the raider helmet, and immediately following the raider set he talks about a 29th set with hawley liner

I recall seeing this helmet in a video Regimentals made a few months back. They claim to have bought it at the MAX show from "a very reputable dealer"

Skip to 9:35 to the raider helmet, and immediately following the raider set he talks about a 29th set.

A U.S. Marine Raider which was a rare unit in the Army???? I'll let that statement stand on it's own.

Regimentals... the guys who stood by the legitimacy of the SS Champagne Rune helmets http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/255535-what-does-a-2400000-fake-helmet-look-like/ and advocated the incorrect use of the science of Xray Floresence(XRF) to legitimize helmets? http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/187042-authenticating-helmets-with-xrf-spectroscopy/ Yup, you can trust those guys.

I would be interested in knowing who they bought these helmets from at the MAX.

That’s the only question that needs a good answer.

Who did this helmet come from?

Who had it at the MAX?

There are members who saw this helmet for sale.

I wish they would chime in.

As Bugme stated

The helmet is now red flagged for life.

No other close up pictures needed.

The pictures as they are speak for themselves.

Let’s see if the fake grail helmet ends up on the regt sales page or it’s moved on at a show to a less experienced collector.

Given the search function of the web available to all using key words the lid will float to the surface like fat making chicken soup and discarded to the side for the trash can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the interest of openness, let me answer that, it was because the moderators DID NOT forget about this thread and when there was no more contact with us from the OP, we discussed it and a member of the Admin team contacted him, he did not contact us. This thread and the fake helmet touted as the Holy Grail, still needed to be addressed and not quietly pushed into the dark.

We may not like being duped and forced to admit a mistake but, clarity and openness are far better than hiding and hoping something goes away. This helmet is now marked and will now be harder for its current dubious owner to move on another under experienced collector.

So Dean did NOT contact you the Forum contacted him.

So how many weeks ago was the helmet sent back leaving the the thread closed.

Dean should have shared that information........as the helmet could in theory have been passed on again by vendor to another victim in the meantime.

Uuuuuuuummmmmmmm.

It would have been nice to see photos of the helmet before you sent it back so we could discuss why it was fake (educational purposes).

Also I kind of think you would have kept it if you thought it was authentic - I know I would have.

The first thing that occurred to me was the years of rust interior and an excellently preserved exterior.

Oil and vinegar, they don’t mix.

Had I seen this helmet and once I had that conclusion, I would have just moved on.

Water travels through capillary action.

That exterior, especially close to the edges, would have very vivid water and rust stains at the least and probably rot.

For me it’s open and closed case.

Remember that combo.

It would have been nice to see photos of the helmet before you sent it back so we could discuss why it was fake (educational purposes).

There's plenty of evidence here as to why its fake, more photos of the same fake helmet and more pages and pages of comments stating it's fake and why aren't necessary.

Did you see the screen caps posted by earlier in this thread from the YouTube video?? It's a no brainer.

Congratulation Dean!

A beautiful helmet! I saw this one too but seems that you were faster!

Hopefully theres a name in it to give it a story.

Posted on sales page.

Yes Justin.

Doesnt hurt to have better photos however.

Either way I am not that vested in it.

This seemed to me like something that was too good to be true from the beginning.

I would want some provenance before considering whether or not it was a ranger helmet.

None was ever shown.

Yes Justin.

Doesnt hurt to have better photos however.

Either way I am not that vested in it.

This seemed to me like something that was too good to be true from the beginning.

I would want some provenance before considering whether or not it was a ranger helmet.

None was ever shown.

"Raider" helmet I think you mean.Not "ranger." Lol

Steve

Posted on sales page.

Can you give me a link? I can’t seem to find this. I’m interested in what the description says.

Watch the you tube thing if you don’t vomit listening to the SS belt buckle love fest

The helmet talk is bla bla bla bla

It’s old because it has tape inside from a collector bla bla bla

Hello, what a strange ending to this whole episode. This is one of the weirdest M1 helmet stories I ever read of. I hope this will help the OP to benefit from more experience and confidence for his future purchases.

Hello, what a strange ending to this whole episode. This is one of the weirdest M1 helmet stories I ever read of. I hope this will help the OP to benefit from more experience and confidence for his future purchases.

It seems that many helmet stories end up jumping the rails. While I have no interest in helmets it is amazing the knots people will twist themselves into to at times to collect them.

Hookemhorns88

It seems that many helmet stories end up jumping the rails. While I have no interest in helmets it is amazing the knots people will twist themselves into to at times to collect them.

I read the posts about helmets in order to try to learn something beneficial but it seems that half of the time I am having to filter through all of the contentious comments to get to something valuable. Some people just cannot help themselves with comments.

It's a helmet thing, we wouldn't expect you to understand. :)