Save or Shoot - Kings Mills Ord. Carbine Ammo

Dogface72

Been away a long time, and friend gave me several boxes of the pictured. Looks like it was "repacked 9-44" anyone know what that means/ Headstamps are PC 43. Value? Shoot/Hold? Thank you. post-5070-0-45299400-1572915115_thumb.jpg

I don't really collect much ammo so I don't think I've heard of the Kings Mills plant before. Is ammo from there scarce or rare? I'm always looking to learn.

Repacked is ammo that was issued, opened from its original container, not used, re-inspected, re stamped and reissued. WW2 head stamped ammo is getting very hard to find. WW2 carbine ammo less common than .30 cal M2. Not much interest to militaria collectors, but cartridge collectors and firearm collectors will pay well for original ammo to display with their vintage firearms. Eg, I put a bandoleer w / lot card of pristine M2 ball dated Den 1943 here up for sale at $75, no interest. It sold in a day on a gun board for $125.

• 2 weeks later...

The Kings Mills plant was closed in 1944. Today, some of the buildings still exist on the river just below the Kings Island property. The shot tower for making cannon balls in the 19th century still stands, and several of the buildings still have the "Peters Cartridge Company" name on the side. I live about an hour south of the site and have visited it several times. Neat piece of history.

The repack stamp was added to the boxes when they were removed from the original wooden shipping boxes and repacked in spam cans for shipment overseas or long term storage. I have several boxes of the carbine ammo, some stamped and some not, as well as an original wooden shipping box. Kings Mills carbine ammo was made from 1942-1944, total production around 790 million rounds. It is desirable to ammo collectors, especially if the box is in good shape, as your is. Nice example.