A Trio of Aussie Pilot Wings on the Barbi'

pfrost

For your enjoyment. A trio of Australian-made pilot wings. A K.G Luke variant, an Angus and Coote, and a Wallace and Bishop version.

There appears to have been at least 2 variations of the Luke wing, this one (which I believe is rather rare) and the two piece one (which I don't own yet). The hallmark on the first version of the Luke (or the second, I don't know which came first), has a stamped in hallmark. There may also be a third, cast Luke pilot wing with the hallmark attached by a little plate on the back.

This version has the hallmark excised. It is rather similar to other Luke wings that have the hallmark in the very center of the back in a circle (more commonly seen on the gunner or bombardier wings).

What is interesting to me is that there are a number of similarities between the "second" pattern Luke wing and the Angus and Coote wing. Certainly in the finish, placement and style of the hallmark and the cliched-type back. I wonder if the same guy was making these dies?

Currently, both the Angus and Coote and Luke wings (with the circular hallmark) are heavily faked and mtnman (Mel) posted some very nice threads about telling the difference (also a big hat tip to mtnman for giving me the nod on these wings. The main issue is that the CAD faking of these wings resulted in a much BETTER looking wing than the original. IF by better you mean a cleaner and almost perfect product. Whereas the "real wings" have a number of flaws and issues that come from hand-made dies.

The WB wing is perhaps the least polished of the wings. They were made out of three separate pieces soldered together. IIRC the fake WB wings are usually casting of originals.

I have heard rumors that there may be another Australian-made pilot wing or two from obscure makers, but I haven't ever seen one.

post-1519-0-53587300-1572901813_thumb.jpg

Patrick,

As always great wings, however I was very disappointed that the photos were not on an actual "barbi" :lol:

I would have settled even for Barbi Benton.

Patrick, you knocked it out of the park buddy! I just saw this and noticed that ever so elusive wing by KG Luke, that most people don't even know exists, and you NAILED IT! Magnificent trio indeed but what would I expect otherwise from our intrepid Big Wing Hunter PFROST!! (By the way, if that chick on grill duty tries to give you "her" number, grab the wing on the grill and run!!!!)

wings-patches2

I have a Bishop-Wallace Senior Pilot wing grouping and a separate Angus & Coote Technical Observer wing up on eBay right now, ID: wings-patches. I'm disbursing a friend's extensive 1980s era collection of mostly WW2 squadron patches and some exotic and rare wings.

• 2 months later...