Can anyone help identify this uniform?

albatrosdva

I am going through my grandfather's photo album from his time in the 64th Coast artillery 1936-37. It includes photos up to WWII era but those are mainly family photos. He served in the army 1935-39 and I assume this photo dates to his coast artillery days. He joined in 1935 under age (he was 19, should have been 21 in those days) and was discharged in 1937 when they found out. He reenlisted and was put in ordnance which he hated so he got out when his enlistment was up in September 1939 (good timing). This one page has several dress photos and this is the only photo with the dark dress. I include two photos to show the odd one versus the normal one. The dark stand collar uniform has officer's style coast artillery insignia but he is an enlisted hat. Any help identifying? And for good measure I include my grandfather in a tank (good to know they were still using those in 1937 lol)

First photo is identified as Dick Thomas, Second is Yenalevitch, third, my grandfather Woodrow Yeargin

post-4475-0-08203900-1572813625.jpg

post-4475-0-94991000-1572813799.jpg

post-4475-0-41811100-1572813814_thumb.jpg

That's the M1902 US Army Dress uniform he's wearing. It was worn up into the WW2 years. Typically the 1930's/40/s era collars had EM Disks, but your grandfather apparently went with the pre WW1 style (i.e, a pair of US pins and a pair of officer style branch insignia).

Its really interesting that that soldier used the M1902 when others, presumably in the same unit, did not. Is that an option, or a way to distinguish between batteries? How interesting

He never was in the War? I guess when he enlisted the first time his recruiting sergeant screwed up, he forgot to get the kids parental or guardian's permission, that was all that was needed. I believe this was the case all they way up to late 1942 with 17-20 year olds, parential permission, then the draft laws were changed, 18 year olds to be drafted, 17 year olds, parental permission, sure it was the same in the Navy and Marines vis a vis 17-20 year olds.