Grumman OV-1 Mohawk Crash in Florida

Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

Just learned of the fatal crash of OV-1 Mohawk 15958 on Friday, November 1. I saw this aircraft fly a couple of years ago at the Homestead ARB show. A beautiful and very scarce aircraft. The owner was flying the aircraft when it crashed near the Stuart airport in preparation for an air show this weekend. A tragic loss.

OV-1D-Mohawk 15958.jpg

The crash scene.

OV-1 Mohawk crash at Stuart 11-1-19.jpg

More here: http://airshowstuff.com/v4/2019/one-dead-after-warbird-crashes-during-florida-airshow-practice/

Regards,

Charlie

Thank you for posting this. I wanted to do it myself but have been struggling the past few days thinking about it. I knew Dr Joe and have helped him out at a show in the past. Was actually supposed to go flying with him in 958 sometime. Cant believe this happened, he was a great guy dedicated to showcasing the OV-1 to the public and keeping its history alive. This aircraft was also a memorial to the MIA from the Vietnam conflict. All the names of those MIA in Vietnam were stenciled all over the aircraft. Lost a great person, a great aircraft and a special memorial. Still cant believe this happened.