Leather Flight Jacket Question

pacreamer

I'm looking to get a flight jacket made up in honor of my Great Uncle James. He was a member of the 761 squadron, 460th BG (aircraft #42-51408) Dinah Might.

He was shot down over Poland on the 9/13/44 mission, bombing Oswiecim, Poland - later a POW in Stalag 14. In my research, I found a webpage made by a surviving officer of the crew. If anyone is interested, the page is pretty informative regarding this specific incident. Apparently there is now a monument in Poland, honoring the American crew of this crash; of which my Uncle was a part of.

Anyway, back to my jacket questions. Since he was a nose gunner, I'm pretty sure he was a TSG. I know this information is easily obtained and I'm pretty sure I have it some where.

Since he was an NCO? what type of flight jacket would he have worn? B-3?

Does anyone have an image of the 761 squadron? I'm really interested in finding a good image of the 761 squadron emblem! The 460th emblem is easily found.

What are your favorite makers? Eastman, Buzz Rickson, Good Wear??

Also, if anyone has any connections to 460th vets, I would love to reach out to them if possible.

A big thanks for all your help!

https://sites.google...eutman-pow/home

Thanks for the reply.

That's the 460th Group emblem. It's pretty cool!

I was just curious if there was a 761st Squadron emblem?

-Pete

That's probably it! I've never seen one before, so I really don't know.

I'll have to try tracking them down to add to my collection. I think the 460th one would be easier to find. I wouldn't put an original on my jacket though. I'll apply a repro.

Any ideas on the type of jacket I should be looking at?

One thing to remember, these jackets are not cut oversize like today's. They are pretty much "slim and trim" like they were back then.

post-177309-0-74807100-1572821105_thumb.jpg

In the end, it's up to you, and whatever you can afford. The Eastman's are well made, and quite accurate. They are also expensive. I got mine slightly used so that helped. I have a Rickson B-15C (modified) that I like a lot also.

post-177309-0-64366500-1572821262_thumb.jpg

Awesome. Yeah, they look great! I was eyeing Eastman stuff! The Real McCoys jackets are great too.

Since he was an enlisted man, a TSG, they would have worn, say a B-3 jacket; as opposed to an a-2?? I'm just not sure what type of jacket he would have been issued?

Johnny Signor

761st Bombardment Squadron emblem , each "Squadron" had a Square patch w/Panther and the last digit of the Squadron on small tab they went "clock wise " around the square , …….

I can make you a leather patch of the Group & Squadron if interested …….

Johnny Signor

post-2068-0-80746600-1572856477_thumb.jpg

That jacket is absolutely jaw dropping!

I’ll check out some group photos. I don’t know why I didn’t think to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk