mdk0911

HISTORIC D-DAY USN FLAG FROM THE USS NEVADA

I think someone's going to drop a huge amount of money for a flag with zero provenance that I could have made in my backyard last week.

But that's just me.

I'm guessing into the five figures.

Only a weak society needs government protection or intervention before it pursues its resolve to preserve the truth. Truth needs neither handcuffs nor a badge for its vindication. -Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy

Peace is not the absence of war, but the defense of hard-won freedom. -Anton LaGuardia

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Then again, looking through that auction, there's a ton of spurious crap... so it might not bring the normal heavy-hitter money that a normal D-Day flag would get.

I do find it funny that a group I sold a month ago on Facebook ended up in the auction! (FWIW, it's not a bad group, nor spurious...and it's sad that part of it got split from it, but whatever...)

Only a weak society needs government protection or intervention before it pursues its resolve to preserve the truth. Truth needs neither handcuffs nor a badge for its vindication. -Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy

Peace is not the absence of war, but the defense of hard-won freedom. -Anton LaGuardia

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

I agree as some on the WWII german items for sale look pretty iffy

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

Is it even a US Navy flag?

Nothing on the bunting.

Flimsy little grommets.

donation2013.gif

IMO that is NOT a Navy flag...

Maybe it was a reunion flag or something.

Mr.JERRY
Collector of WWI & WWII Home Front Flags, Unit Flags & Guidons,US & German helmets, insignia, uniforms, medals,

Women's Military Uniforms,Wisconsin Vocational School made Fighting Knives.

Military Shop Owner & Dealer in everything else~!

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Check out our Facebook page for updates and the latest Shop news!:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Military-Collectibles-Shop/171226792906875
Visit our website (and visit our shop if you are ever near Milwaukee, WI USA)
http://www.militarycollectorsHQ.com

See what Mr.Jerry has on eBay this week:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/mr.jerry/m.html?_ipg=200&_sop=1&_rdc=1

$1500 estimate says it all, if the auction thought it was legit the opening bid would be much more substantial. Still a neat piece but not worth nearly that of a wartime flag

Check out my eBay page, I sell military insignia and just about anything else I come across

Link: https://www.ebay.com/sch/fitzkeemilitaria/m.html?item=223497878518&hash=item340982fbf6%3Ag%3ASs4AAOSw-llcxhqe&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Please check out my web page as well for more items for sale

https://fitzkeemilitaria.com/

Definitely not an official Navy Yard-made Flag. And definitely not a battleship sized ensign (see the flag size chart at US Naval Heritage website)

I find all the recent D-Day flags to be skeptical because of weak provenance and many are not regulation US Navy flags.

Then again, looking through that auction, there's a ton of spurious crap... so it might not bring the normal heavy-hitter money that a normal D-Day flag would get.

I do find it funny that a group I sold a month ago on Facebook ended up in the auction! (FWIW, it's not a bad group, nor spurious...and it's sad that part of it got split from it, but whatever...)

Just out of curiosity which group is it ?

Please Remember the Following Service Members who have passed on!

Manley S Webb- 1925-2006 US Navy WW2

James W Boutilier - 1921-1983 US Navy Seabees WW2

Russell W Haight - 1876-1953 Spanish American War, Cuban Pacification, Mexican Border War NYNG

Lt Colonel William H Warren 1921-2014 USAF

It doesnt pass the sniff test.

Kurt

!!!! WANTED !!!!

WWII Prisoner of War items : Medals, Mail, Diaries, Photos, Documents, Scrapbooks + More

WWII Naval Aviation Groupings : Medals, Documents, Scrapbooks, Photos, Flight Logs, Flight Jackets + More

Would you even deface a US flag by printing on it like that? Agree it doesn't look USGI.

To me, it does not look like a real World War II flag as nothing on it resembles being navy issued. It might even be a tribute flag someone made instead of a blatant fake but who knows. It would be odd to find a flag like this, especially being named to the ship's captain without any supporting documentation since it would be a very unique and desirable flag. However I feel if it wasn't a supposed spurious flag and there was supporting documentation for the flag's authenticity the estimated price would be a lot higher so perhaps the company is aware of the problems.

I've been seeing more of this type of spurious writing on flags lately. There was one recently that had St. Mere Eglise written on it with other markings. No provenance but went for big money on ebay. Expect to see more of this kind of thing.

donation2007.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif
donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I have seen a lot of flags being sold from a museum collection on heritage, amazing the only provenance is some type of donation form , nothing more!

Always Looking for : D-Day Items , War Torn Flags+ Helmets, Purple Heart Medals and Research Projects (Estates) US GERMAN JAPAN\ ITALY