Can Anyone ID these Aircraft from these Photographes?

manayunkman

Concerning the photo on the right; note how the canopy framing is angular instead of curved. That should be one identifying feature. Most canopies you see from this time period are curved. I think he is in the back seat. Not ready to take a guess yet.

Im pretty sure that this man is in the 108th Observation Squadron of the 33rd Infantry Division.

The unit was reformed in 1927.

The man in the photo was born in 1915.

So this could be the 1930s.

I'm going to say the photo on the right is a Douglas O-38, judging by the canopy design, and he is sitting in the rear seat. I'll see what others think. No idea what the one on the left is right now.

post-177309-0-90291200-1572654725_thumb.jpg

I looked through countless photos on the web trying to ID the second plane.

It’s almost as if the observer is in an angular bubble.

Certainly looks like an enlisted man.

Could it be that the photo is taken from the pilots seat looking back?

The insignia was found in a book called " U.S. Service Symbols", published in 1942. It comes in handy at times. I found mine on e-pay.

• 2 weeks later...

My guess is that both photos are of the Douglas O-31B. In photo #1, the canopy and windscreen - especially the latter - are not quite right for an O-38, plus there appear to be braces under the horizontal stabilizer - not a feature on the O-38, but definitely on the O-31. Also in photo #1 there is the shadow across the windscreen which I suspect is that of the prominent vertical strut contraption that kept the wings were you wanted them.

Photo #2 of the rear seat is trickier, but one can see that the canopy rails extend behind the rear cockpit - a feature of the O-31B, but again, not the O-38.

Both the O-31 and O-38 were flown during the 1930s by the 108th Observation Squadron, and, given that both types were Douglas aircraft, it makes for a tricky ID based on the canopy because, in all likelihood, the same man at Douglas designed both canopies.

post-1949-0-38474000-1573861630_thumb.jpg

post-1949-0-84491800-1573861644_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you SteinD,

That would place the man in the first photo in the pilots seat?

Do you have more information about the 118th OS?

Thanks Stein,

Could it be an O-31A and B due to one having a flat canopy and the other a pointy one?

Do you have any information about the 118th?