Unknown spotting rifle/ranging gun

mortarman

I spotted this at an antique store today. The store owner doesn't know what it is but I think it is a spotting rifle. Bolt action and about 50 caliber.post-96874-0-07795800-1572559209_thumb.jpg

Anyone know what it is?

Charlie Flick

Are there no markings on it?

I see no sights. I am wondering if it is a device to test ammunition, sort of along the lines of the Mann Accuracy device which used a bolt action Springfield receiver.

Regards,

Charlie

I looked it over at the store and saw no markings. It is rather crusty and any markings may be gone.There are no sights. I will get better pictures next time I'm there.

I am not sure but I think it may be a 14.5 mm artillery trainer. It has been at least twenty years since I got to fire one at the knobb creek machine gun shoot, but if memory serves me correctly, this is what the gun portion of the trainer looks like.

Posted Today, 10:44 PM

I am not sure but I think it may be a 14.5 mm artillery trainer. It has been at least twenty years since I got to fire one at the knobb creek machine gun shoot, but if memory serves me correctly, this is what the gun portion of the trainer looks like.

See link for info and pics => http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/4740-Artillery-Sub-Calibre-device-HELP-!!

Does that look like what you're talking about B24AT6?

Firing the 14.5 trainer was a real blast,quite memorable. The one I fired belonged to Collectors Corner, the company that later became Ohio Ordnance. I do not know how many types of ammunition were available for the gun, but the day we were shooting, Bob had three, point detonation, as well as three and six second delay. The point detonated rounds had a pretty good boom,I was able to blow a 55 gallon drum off the hood of a car at around four hundred yards . The time delay rounds were great for air bursts over targets . The ammo ,which looks like a giant 38 special, was fairly common at gun shows years ago. Another point to make about the 14.5 trainer is that due to its caliber it may be subject to the NFA and should be registered as a destructive device if it is.