WWI Purple Heart 138th Infantry 35th Division

Pip

This is the first time I have a bought WWI Purple Heart and want to make sure it is real. Any help would be appreciated I emailed Redbird research after asking a board member how to get Award cards (Thanks dhcoleterracina). There is not alot of information on this Soldier except for one article I could find about him being one of 200 men to participate in the Trench Raid At Hilsenfirst the first battle of the 35th Division in WWI. Outside of that pretty much nothing . Purple heart is numbered 8184

post-85644-0-16607900-1572539056_thumb.jpg

I don't think you would ever have to worry that a group like this one would be a fake. Finding the medals that are still in the boxes is outstanding. I think you've hit a winner here.

Allan

Purple Heart is an early issued on based on the number. They were awarded and issued starting in 1932 for WIA/MSCC WWI and earlier actions.

Thanks! They had the boxes and thats why I bid on them not sure I would have if they didnt , I was hoping the boxes would have some documents hidden inside . There was 2 helmets also but I did not bid on those. I wish I had now.

tdogchristy90

Based on the newspaper article it seems as though he was from St. Louis. As a Missourian this pleases me. Very nice group, Pip!

Thanks! Looks like the 138th Infantry is a St Louis regiment and was called the St Louis Grey's in the Civil War . Wiki shows this for them in WWI

After the war's end, the regiment returned to its home station in St. Louis. On 8 July 1922 the U.S. Army approved the 138th's Regimental Coat of Arms along with the regimental colors. The coat of arms is an infantry blue shield with an equestrian statue in profile of King Louis IX of France, the namesake of the City of St. Louis. The actual statue sets in front of the St. Louis Art Museum in Forrest Park. The regiment's motto, "St. Louis’ Own" alludes to the historical home of the regiment and serves as a recognition if its history – nearly all the original members of the regiment were St. Louisans as were its Medal of Honor recipients. The regiment's official designation as the "First Missouri" also stands as testament to its former name – Missouri's first, and now only, infantry regiment.

• 2 weeks later...

The AGO card does not provide the serial number of the Purple Heart Medal William Klockau received. It does give his award date and his Wounded in Action date

The WIA 7970 indicates the number of Purple Hearts awarded for combat wounds, as of that card

The No 8220 indicates the number of Purple Hearts awarded for wounds and the Meritorious Service Citation Certificate, as of that card

The serial number, 8184, of the Purple Heart is close to the No number, and is pretty common

This info is courtesy of Fred L Borch and his article on The First Purple Hearts, from the JMOSA, Vol 56, Jan-Feb 2005, number 1

Thanks Bill!

Looks like he was wounded during the second day of the Meuse–Argonne offensive. The day before Sept 26th two men from his unit won the MOH during this offensive.