Another "Sam Browne" belt?

Keith

I took this in on trade and the fellow said originally it came with a m1902 saber on it. It is like a Sam Browne pattern but only has single hole for buckle. It is marked on the raw side GENUINE TOP GRAIN BRIDLE LEATHER and a maker mark of NEW YORKER. I assume it is a private purchase but who would have worn this belt and when? Also, what is it's value? Thanks.

belt1.jpg

belt2.jpg

That's an enlisted man's garrison belt. Someone added an officers shoulder strap and sabre slide. It's not correct in this configuation.

That's an enlisted man's garrison belt. Someone added an officers shoulder strap and sabre slide. It's not correct in this configuation.

Thanks, that looks to be correct. The loops on the brown shoulder strap measure only wide enough to go on a belt the width of the garrison belt (1-5/8"), did the Sam Brownes evolve to that width belt or was it a different rig altogether? Or was it not intended to be slid over a belt but secured through rings? Here is another Sam Browne taken in on the same trade. This one is black and marked N.S. Meyer. The shoulder strap on this one is secured through rings and not over the belt. What can you tell me about it as far as dating it and value. It has a name, John O'Brien, on it. Thanks again.

belt4.jpg

belt3.jpg

VolunteerArmoury
Thanks, that looks to be correct. The loops on the brown shoulder strap measure only wide enough to go on a belt the width of the garrison belt (1-5/8"), did the Sam Brownes evolve to that width belt or was it a different rig altogether? Or was it not intended to be slid over a belt but secured through rings? Here is another Sam Browne taken in on the same trade. This one is black and marked N.S. Meyer. The shoulder strap on this one is secured through rings and not over the belt. What can you tell me about it as far as dating it and value. It has a name, John O'Brien, on it. Thanks again.

belt4.jpg

belt3.jpg

If you're looking at breaking it apart, I'm needing a cross shoulder strap.

Keith,

Your black belt is more likely a Marine officers belt.One thing I have noticed on the Marine Corps ones are the thick brass "D"rings.

As for the brown belt the the strap would fit the width of your belt but on an actual Sam Brown belt the leather strap would actually thread through a brass D ring/bail sewn into the belt.The loop allowed a quich way to detach the shoulder strap by unsnapping and removing.Like the one in post #5.I hope this makes sense.

RON

Keith,

Your black belt is more likely a Marine officers belt.One thing I have noticed on the Marine Corps ones are the thick brass "D"rings.

As for the brown belt the the strap would fit the width of your belt but on an actual Sam Brown belt the leather strap would actually thread through a brass D ring/bail sewn into the belt.The loop allowed a quich way to detach the shoulder strap by unsnapping and removing.Like the one in post #5.I hope this makes sense.

RON

That is good information, Ron. Thanks. The USMC association should help the black belt. Is that Vietnam and later issue?

That is good information, Ron. Thanks. The USMC association should help the black belt. Is that Vietnam and later issue?

Keith

I would say WW2.Dont really know if they were worn/required much after WW2-Korea.

The Officers guide of 1937 lists this belt as the Model 1935.Shown worn with the dress blue,winter service and summer service uniform.They have a seperate sword belt also for officers made of white/buff leather with a eagle belt plate.

RON