Needing info on Vet Association Order of the Compassionate Heart

gunnertwo

Source: FamilySearch.org

Note: This is Alexander Anderson Cuthbertson's WWII Old Man's Draft Registration Record. Pay particular attention to the mailing address, that is, 351 California St, San Francisco, CA as this will be of importance in the next post.

l3.jpg

l4.jpg

Source: Fold3

Note the full name and address on the cards of this British WWI Medal Rolls Index Card. Same full name as and mailing address as Alexander Anderson Cuthbertson living in California.

i9.jpg

i10.jpg

i11.jpg

Great detective work aznation!

It looks like Alexander A. Cuthbertson was an officer in the Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) in the British Army in WW1. He earned a British WW1 trio (1915 star, British War Medal and Victory Medal) for his service. His arrival in France in 1915 points to a Territorial Army (TA) Bataillon connection.

Not likely he was the person earning the US medals. Or this is a first. Obtaining US WW1 medals for his British War service.

Thoughts by other forumites?

Regards

Herman

The plot thickens...

The medals were with a Colt Commercial 45 auto, the name was engraved on the pistol. I was told they belonged to the same person. Thanks to you both for trying to unravel the mystery.

G2

Posted Today, 02:40 PM

Great detective work aznation!

It looks like Alexander A. Cuthbertson was an officer in the Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) in the British Army in WW1. He earned a British WW1 trio (1915 star, British War Medal and Victory Medal) for his service. His arrival in France in 1915 points to a Territorial Army (TA) Bataillon connection.

Not likely he was the person earning the US medals. Or this is a first. Obtaining US WW1 medals for his British War service.

Thoughts by other forumites?

Regards

Herman

Thanks Herman. Yes, I was hesitant to submit the information I had found regarding the Alexander Anderson Cuthbertson, however, he was the most likely candidate I could come up with given the name. Since he did live in the U.S. after the war I thought it just might be possible that maybe he had served in the British Army but at some point transferred over to the U.S. Army. We know based on his British service, he entered on Sept 7, 1915 and it appears he may have been discharged from British service March 23, 1917. The U.S. didn't enter into WWI until April 6, 1917. We know this Alexander was in San Francisco, Calif at least by the Census of 1920. I've not run across anything like that before and it's anyone's guess. Also, the fact that G2 had mentioned the items were obtained in Oregon which is relatively close to California also led me towards the person I came up with.

Posted Today, 02:59 PM

The plot thickens...

The medals were with a Colt Commercial 45 auto, the name was engraved on the pistol. I was told they belonged to the same person. Thanks to you both for trying to unravel the mystery.

G2

G2, so the name Alexander A. Cuthbertson is engraved on the pistol, correct? Hummm, this IS a mystery that has yet to be solved.

.......We know based on his British service, he entered on Sept 7, 1915 and it appears he may have been discharged from British service March 23, 1917..........

A little correction, he entered France on Sept 7, 1915.

That means that he was trained and commissioned before that date.

Regards

Herman

Publication: Daily Independent Journal

Issue Date: Friday, September 28, 1973

Page: Page 44

ALEXANDER CUTHBERTSON

Private service has been held for Alexander A. Cuthbertson, father of Dr Elizabeth M. Cuthbertson of Mill Valley. Cuthbertson died recently in a local hospital after a lengthy illness. He was 94. A native of Scotland he had lived in California for 67 years, the past two months in Marin.

Publication: The San Francisco Examiner

Issue Date: Tuesday, April 1, 1919

Page: 9

A Captain and Mrs. Alexander A. Cuthbertson have arrived here from the East and are the guests of Mr. and Mrs. George W. Kelham. Captain Cuthbertson has seen service during the entire period of the war.

Publication: The San Francisco Examiner

Issue Date: Wednesday, March 12, 1919

Page: 9

Captain Alexander A. Cuthbertson and his bride, who was Miss Katharine Mary Muirhead, will return here next week and take up a permanent residence. Captain Cuthbertson left here over four years ago for France to join the Black Watch. On their arrival Captain and Mrs. Cuthbertson will be the guests of Mr. and Mrs. George Kelham at their home.

Publication: Oakland Tribune

Issue Date: Tuesday, June 26, 1917

Page: Page 3

SAN FRANCISCO June 26

It took war, wounds and convalescence to make a bridegroom out of Alexander A. Cuthbertson, local clubman and shipping expert, who became a lieutenant In the famous Black Watch at the conflict's beginning, leaving his San Francisco position for British service: "Sandy," as he is known to his fellow members at the San Francisco Golf and Country, the Presidio Golf and the Marin County Golf and Country Clubs, married Miss Katherine Mary Muirhead of Broughty Ferry. The local favorite met his bride the first time he was invalided home in 1915. Returning to the battle front again this year he once more received wounds, and, coming back to his mother's home, succumbed to the English girl's charm. He is the son of the late James Cuthbertson of Dundee and Mrs. Cuthbertson.

Publication: San Francisco Chronicle

Issue Date: Tuesday, April 1, 1919

Page: Page 9

Mr Alexander A Cuthbertson arrived in San Francisco Saturday evening and are for the time staying with Mr and Mrs George Kelham. Many entertainment will be given in their honor. Captain Cuthbertson who made his home In San Francisco before the war returned to England to join the famous Black Watch regiment with which he served in France. His marriage to Miss Katherlne Muirhead was an event of last year.

I still don't think this is the right man for these awards. It is entirely possible that the gun and the medals are unrelated.

The Bars on the WWI VM are consistent with someone who served with the 26th or 42nd Division. The PH must be a replacement because an original WWI PH would be named.

The only other Alexander Cuthbertson I could locate with US service in WWI went over with HQ Rgt. First Army in 1918 and returned in 1919 with 207th MP Co. His middle initial is B, however. The card for his grave marker indicates no medals. Parts of the 207th MPs were attached to I Corps.

Posted Today, 04:48 PM

I still don't think this is the right man for these awards. It is entirely possible that the gun and the medals are unrelated.

You may be correct that the medals were not awarded to the Alexander Anderson Cuthbertson that I posted, however, it's just my belief that the Colt Commercial 45 auto that G2 mentions with Alexander A. Cuthbertson engraved on it did belong to him. Someone let us know if you have a better possibility in mind. I had seen that Alexander B. also, but that's not him for sure.

G2, is it possible for you to post a picture of the Colt 45 Auto and the engraving of Alexander A. Cuthbertson name on it. Also, what date/time period is the Colt 45 Auto?

The pistol was not FS with the medals. It was a early commercial made in 1913 per the serial number. Seeing what early Colt 1911's are going for these days I should have tried to but it.

G2

I checked the database of the London Gazette as it contains all editions back to 1665. It contains among others all officer appointments, officer promotions and also honours and awards.

This is what I found on Alexander Anderson Cuthbertson.

December 28th, 1914 commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in the 4th batalion The Black Watch (Royal Highlanders).

June 1st, 1916 promoted to Lieutenant, same batalion.

August 4th, 1918 promoted to acting Captain whilst commanding a coy in the 7th batalion The Black Watch ( Royal Highlanders).

January 15th, 1919 relinguishes the acting rank of Captain on ceasing to command a coy in the 7th batalion.

So no WW1 service in the US Army. The pictured medals are not his for sure.

Regards

Herman

So no WW1 service in the US Army. The pictured medals are not his for sure.

Regards

Herman

Thank you Herman. I agree that the medals were not awarded to him but there is the possibility that he could've acquired them or they might've belonged to him. I guess we'll never know in that regard short of further evidence.

Lastly, this article from Newspapers.com

l1.jpg

l2.jpg

l3.jpg

l4.jpg

l5.jpg

• 11 months later...

Bringing this back with some new (old) info. I found my notes and the other possible name to the medal group is James M. Cuthbertson. aznation, if you feel like attacking it again perhaps new info could be found. Many thanks for what you do.

G2