5th Kentucky LL Infantry badge. Louisville Legion. Civil War? Span Am? Veteran?

Jennings Lane

Jennings Lane

5th Kentucky LL Infantry badge. Louisville Legion. Civil War? Span Am? Veteran?

This is an interesting badge. I'm not sure if this is a corp badge or a veteran's badge.

The 5th Kentucky Louisville Legion fought in the Civil War, but I'm told there was a 5th Kentucky in the Spanish American War.

The badge is cut from lightweight metal. Approx 3"tall.

Any thought or opinions appreciated.

Andy

post-154922-0-36441000-1572428244_thumb.jpg

post-154922-0-01844100-1572428270_thumb.jpg

The shapes would be 4th corps (triangle) and 12th and or 20th corps. A brief search on google shows 5th Kentucky Confederate , but the L L is a puzzle. Stylistically it doesn’t look war time to me. My impression is ,someone tried to make a union ladder badge at home . The patina looks old and original. Thanks for posting. Mike

mysteriousoozlefinch

There was no 5th Kentucky in the Spanish-American War; last volunteer regiment the state supplied was the 4th, plus two troops of cavalry.

The Union Louisville Legion was part of the XX Corps at one point, whose badge was a five-point star. Seems like a veteran piece to me.

Here's a poor photo of an officer's hat badge and some other pieces that belonged to 2nd Lt Adolph Reutlinger of the 5th KY. He was in, and out, pretty early. Note the use of the "LL" in the loop of the hat insignia.

post-151665-0-67816500-1572449907_thumb.jpg

Jennings Lane

Personally, I believe it is old. As mentioned,it may be a veteran's item. It belongs to a friend and it came in an estate lot. Everything else in the group was authentic.

The group spanned items from the Civil war through the Spanish American War.

Thanks for everyone's opinions. Always appreciated.

Andy