who got it?

Costa

he is another that went shortly after I got the marine lid. 4,700.00 and if there is sales tax just about 5,000.00 for a lid with no name or laundry number.

post-73-0-33129400-1572402295.jpg

I bid on it but, wasn't going to go to high. the winner over took me . still nice eto lid but, with no name to research------------- I let it go.

Very nice helmet. It looks real deal and I like the patina on the shell, but $4700? Seems like back in the day prices, good for the seller and buyer.

Had a quick question about prices of m1s in general I have not been in the hobby for a long time but has their been a increase decrease on value of them? Whats the deal with prices on all sorts of helmets fixed, swivel, insignia, I'D, early lot number, Schlueter etc. Hoping some collectors that have been in the hobby for awhile could answer that as I am curious. Thanks.

That is a super-broad question, that would take pages to answer - pages that actually already exist.

I would start by looking at the helmets posted in the for sale section, and look at the recent topic on militaria prices overall.

Had a quick question about prices of m1s in general I have not been in the hobby for a long time but has their been a increase decrease on value of them? Whats the deal with prices on all sorts of helmets fixed, swivel, insignia, I'D, early lot number, Schlueter etc. Hoping some collectors that have been in the hobby for awhile could answer that as I am curious. Thanks.

That is a super-broad question, that would take pages to answer - pages that actually already exist.

I would start by looking at the helmets posted in the for sale section, and look at the recent topic on militaria prices overall.

Agreed, that's like asking, "What's a Ford worth?" Lots of variables to narrow down to find an answer.

I've bought M1s anywhere from $25 (SB shell only with no paint left) to $150 (WW2 FB shell and liner) in the past few years. All were just average condition fixed or swivel bail shells with or without straps and liners. As always, special unit markings, camo, ID/provenance, and mint condition adds to the value. As a general trend, I'd say M1 prices are much higher now than they were 25-30 years ago, the 50th Anniversary and "Saving Private Ryan" effect in the mid-90s probably had a lot to do with that. They've had ups and downs but still bring more now than even 10-15 years ago.

Agreed, that's like asking, "What's a Ford worth?" Lots of variables to narrow down to find an answer.

I've bought M1s anywhere from $25 (SB shell only with no paint left) to $150 (WW2 FB shell and liner) in the past few years. All were just average condition fixed or swivel bail shells with or without straps and liners. As always, special unit markings, camo, ID/provenance, and mint condition adds to the value. As a general trend, I'd say M1 prices are much higher now than they were 25-30 years ago, the 50th Anniversary and "Saving Private Ryan" effect in the mid-90s probably had a lot to do with that. They've had ups and downs but still bring more now than even 10-15 years ago.

Do you think that as the new generations start to outnumber the current that the hobby will die and possibly drop to very low value for helmets? Thanks for the response.

Do you think that as the new generations start to outnumber the current that the hobby will die and possibly drop to very low value for helmets? Thanks for the response.

That's a very good question that will most likely apply to all militaria across the board.

I think it's a possibility for sure.

Im thinking they will go up. Another good Private ryan type movie etc etc will boost prices

and spawn new collectors. Look at the prices on civil war items. Not cheap by any means. Same with ww2 helmets. Although most of us wont be around to see the days. But I'm guesing that someday, they will be paying big bucks for the ww2 lids we pick up now for under a hundred. ?

Thats my guess at the future. lol

Captain Woody

Without opening the can of worms that is political discourse I'd like to add my 2¢:

I'm 30 years old and started collecting M1s when I was 15, so well after the Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers spike observed in the hobby. Between the reenacting I used to do and the shows I've been to, there are plenty of collectors in my age range. From personal experience I was only able to start adding nicer pieces to my collection in last 4 years or so after a very lucky career change (a good union gig is hard to come by these days), and even then nicer painted pieces or ones that typically sell in the 4 digit range are still relatively out of reach without liquidating 3 or so other pieces to come up with the cash.

In conclusion, as long as Hollywood keeps churning out a good WWII flick every so often I think the interest will certainly be there, but until my generation's economic issues start to iron themselves out the actual "demand" may see a significant dip. Now I'd be a dirty liar if I said I wasn't waiting in the wings for such an event to occur, hah. I can't speak to the public's interest in WWII movies these days either, but I personally blame Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks for more than doubling the value (and by extension counterfeits) of the market, lol.

I hope that turns out to be the case, Woody. I've tried to get my son interested in the hobby. He's spent a weekend set up at a show with me, we've been to large Midwest shows, and he seems to enjoy it, but when it comes to collecting, he just doesn't. He picked out a nice helmet once at a show, but I don't know where he put it as I haven't seen it in months.

Everybody has opinions, and time will tell. A couple of quick perspectives:

If you think Civil War stuff is strong, you should talk to some CW collectors - I suspect they have a very different opinion. The ones I talk to at shows refer to it as *dead*, due to the same two factors: Fakes, and collectors dying off.

On the prospects of churning out movies to sustain interest, that only works to a point. I would bet that the majority of folks going to see a new WWII movie are those already interested, as opposed to newbies thinking *ok, what is all this WWII stuff about*. Will some younger folks get hooked, and start collecting? Sure. At the same rate collectors are exiting? Not even close.

Most fellow collectors I talk to collect because they have / had a family member who served. I suspect continued interest - acknowledging a rapidly-decelerating generational collecting interest. But, it won’t likely be WWII. Think about it as a bunch of Gaussian (bell) curves with their tails overlapping. Interest by conflict starts, peaks, and declines - agitated by size of conflict, and some other factors, like views on the war, etc. Sixteen million Americans served in WWII. So, its peak was taller and longer-lasting, with an overall wider spread, I would suppose. The way I see it, we are sliding down the tail of the dinosaur like Fred Flintstone. :)