Foreign awards on US Army uniforms

FTLewisBrat

Here's an interesting picture I found in the "yearbook" of the 447th Bombardment Group (H). Note that he is wearing not only RAF wings, but the ribbons for the Military Cross, 19 14-15 Star, British War Medal, and Victory Medal with Mention In Dispatches oak leaf.

LTC Wilford Beaver, 447th BG.PNG

ww2guymandude

Here’s a couple from my collection. Both Battery “B” 10th FA guys that wore the French CdG ribbon on their ike jackets.

fa2c2387214fd4c5f269b8a5bfe1736e.jpg
2f12883cc42a05dc8746f91f317e28ac.jpg
d265c0aa5a0a6c25916673731a1e7846.jpg
5f65dcd002995ec2b792f5c2187f25fb.jpg

2 hours ago, ItemCo16527 said:

Here's an interesting picture I found in the "yearbook" of the 447th Bombardment Group (H). Note that he is wearing not only RAF wings, but the ribbons for the Military Cross, 19 14-15 Star, British War Medal, and Victory Medal with Mention In Dispatches oak leaf.

He's got a WIKI on him. was English born, immigrated to Canada,Canadian Army and later the RFC  in the Great War, immigrated to America after the war, we guess as a member of an Allied Army in the Great War he was allowed to wear his stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilfred_Beaver

2 hours ago, ItemCo16527 said:

Here's an interesting picture I found in the "yearbook" of the 447th Bombardment Group (H). Note that he is wearing not only RAF wings, but the ribbons for the Military Cross, 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, and Victory Medal with Mention In Dispatches oak leaf.

To follow up on this post, I found LTC Beaver on TheAerodrome.com, and his profile can be found here. He scored 19 victories during World War I, and would be awarded a Bronze Star Medal for his service with the 447th. Quite an interesting man!

3 minutes ago, patches said:

He's got a WIKI on him. was English born, immigrated to Canada,Canadian Army and later the RFC  in the Great War, immigrated to America after the war, we guess as a member of an Allied Army in the Great War he was allowed to wear his stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilfred_Beaver

Thanks, Patches! It seems I posted my update almost at the same time you made your post lol

• 5 months later...
Proud Kraut

German Army or Air Force (depending on the grey or dark blue background) rocket personnel proficiency badge. Since it is a golden level 3 badge (10 years of service) I assume it was "awarded" honorary.

Proud Kraut

I have to correct myself: rocket personnel qualification badge (Taetigkeitsabzeichen Raketen- und Flugkoerperpersonal). That includes  Anti Aircraft Rocket (Army & Air Force) and Rocket Artillery (Army & Air Force) personnel.

ItemCo16527

Thank you, guys. I don't know anything about Bundeswehr badges (other than what they look like lol), and I'm glad there are folks here who can educate me :)

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, ItemCo16527 said:

Here's a really unusual one. This is Maj. Gen. John A. Leide, and he is wearing the ribbon for the Kuwaiti Liberation Medal, 2nd Class. This was never authorized for issue or wear to the U.S. military - only the 5th Class variant was. (Source)

1.PNG

2.PNG

He's also wearing it out of order. It should be after the ribbon of the Vietnam Campaign Medal, not before it.

Also, what's the ribbon he's wearing between the Mritorious Service Medal and Air Medal? It looks similar to the Homeland Security Distinguished Security Medal, but it's not. 

ItemCo16527
6 minutes ago, seanmc1114 said:

He's also wearing it out of order. It should be after the ribbon of the Vietnam Campaign Medal, not before it.

Yeah, I had noticed that, too. Perusing that website,  you'll see a lot of flag officers wearing their ribbons in really screwed up orders. After all, who's going to correct a General or Admiral? Lol

27 minutes ago, ItemCo16527 said:

Yeah, I had noticed that, too. Perusing that website,  you'll see a lot of flag officers wearing their ribbons in really screwed up orders. After all, who's going to correct a General or Admiral? Lol

Also notice that it's larger than all the other ribbons. It's probably foreign made. General Leide was J-2 of Central Command and Norman Schwarzkopf’s Director of Intelligence during Desert Shield and Desert Storm, so it's possible the Kuwaiti government specifically awarded him that class of the medal.

And just to nit pick a little more, notice all of the different variety of attachments he is wearing. The single oak leaf clusters on his Legion of Merit and Defense Superior Service Medal ribbons are smaller and slightly different in color than the multiple oak leaf cluster devices worn on his Bronze Star and Meritorious Service Medal ribbons. And notice he is wearing a single device of four campiagn stars - actually upside down - on his Vietnam Service Medal ribbon while he's wearing individual stars on his Southwest Asia Service Medal ribbon. And I think he's wearing the wrong size star on his Vietnamese Gallantry Cross Ribbon. I believe he is just wearing a campaign star while the actual authorized device should be larger like the stars worn on Navy and Marine Corps ribbons.  Finally, he's not wearing a star device on his National Defense Service Medal ribbon to denote a second award (from the Vietnam War era and the Gulf War era).

ItemCo16527
2 hours ago, seanmc1114 said:

Also, what's the ribbon he's wearing between the Mritorious Service Medal and Air Medal? It looks similar to the Homeland Security Distinguished Security Medal, but it's not. 

It's the National Intelligence Medal of Achievement. I think it should rank below the Air Medal.

collectsmedals

Here is a picture of Paul Huff, Medal of Honor winner from the 509 PIR in World War II, wearing the French 3rd Zouave Regiment badge on his right pocket.

Paul_Huff,_MOH.jpg

• 7 months later...

Here's a weird and I'm sure rare one. Sergeant Major Kent Dolasky of JFK Special Warfare Center wearing a Jordanian Navy badge. I'm not sure what the official name of the badge is, but I have seen it referred to as the Jordanian Navy badge SEAL UDT Frogman badge.

Diver Badge.Jordanian Army UDT Seal Frogman.1.jpg

Diver Badge.Jordanian Army UDT Seal Frogman.2.jpg

My online research shows this identified both as Laotian and Khemer Cambodian jump wings, but I believe the Cambodian ID is correct. If Cambodian, I assume they were awarded by the Khemer Republic rather than the Khemer Rouge.

Jump Wings.Laos.1.jpg

Jump Wings.Laos.2.jpg

20 minutes ago, seanmc1114 said:

Here's a weird and I'm sure rare one. Sergeant Major Kent Dolasky of JFK Special Warfare Center wearing a Jordanian Navy badge. I'm not sure what the official name of the badge is, but I have seen it referred to as the Jordanian Navy badge SEAL UDT Frogman badge.

Whoa! A HUGE fish badge! 😳😳

31 minutes ago, seanmc1114 said:

It looks like costume jewelry.

What a piece to have on your uniform!!

That is a great picture thanks for posting it.

On 11/1/2019 at 12:01 PM, Martinjmpr said:

There should be a set of orders. The orders would say something like "The following individual is awarded the [insert name of foreign award]."

I was awarded Colombian Army wings and medals, didn't get US orders.  They just put translated copies of the Colombian orders in my OMPF.

easterneagle87
On 4/22/2021 at 6:39 AM, seanmc1114 said:

Love this post and was going to add this: Re-looking at this, there should be a star on the National Defense Service Medal for a second award. 

But re-read again, and saw this info had already been added. 

• 2 months later...
On 12/16/2021 at 10:57 AM, seanmc1114 said:

Interesting, I was at first, What Jordan has a Navy?, it's a landlocked land, then I remembered Aqaba, you know the city Lawrence of Arabia attacked in WWI by marching across the desert to take from behind because Johnny Turk has Coast Artillery emplacements all over to hit ships coming at it from the sea.

Here's the WIKI on their Navy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Jordanian_Navy

Ecuadorian Cloth Jump Wings sewn to a Officers Khaki Shirt, a unnamed Lieutenant Colonel of the Field Artillery, all the rest is directly embroidered save for the RANGER Tab. Shirt will be worn after 1968 as it has now the traditional Crossed Cannons.

for.PNG

forifgn.PNG

Capture.PNG

for post 68.PNG