My first caterpillar club pin

robinb

Very nice! Back in 90’s when collected USAAF guy answered an ad I had in local paper. Met at his home, was just floored, he flew off my Dads Air Fields around Foggia, Italy in B-24. Shot down 3 times, 1st and 2 nd times A/C made it back to Allied controled Italy and pilot had everyone bail, 3 rd time was bad luck as over North Italy. Was tail gunner, 88 flak round hit just behind reat turret actually blowing him out of A/C. Managed to pull rip cord even though wounded. Once he landed he was paralized, an Italian woman came running to him tell him Germans were coming, run. Somehow he managed to let her know he could not, said he gave the woman his survival kit and his 1911-A1! Captured , placed in German hospital where they removed the piece of flak from his back, then to POW camp. After he told his story I asked if he had his Catapillar Club pin, he was amazed anyone knew about them. He went and brought out a cigar box with mementos including a beautiful pin with Red Eyes by Switlick Parachute Co. A real Treasure, BTW, he would never sell me the pin, LOL. He did sell me some other pieces.