Named and Unit Painted 143rd Anti-Tank Company M38 Tanker Helmet

Austin_Militaria

Austin_Militaria

Picked this up at the Schertz TX Militaria show yesterday. Named on the inside to Leslie Graves. He entered the service in 1940 and was with the 143rd Infantry Anti-Tank Company.

Would love to find a photo of this unit wearing tanker helmets.

post-2578-0-93026700-1572201105.jpg

Well infantry Regimental Anti Tank Companies were not Armored they were towed, they used the 57mm Anti Tank Gun. usaully towed by those Dodge Trucks

But apparently some of them had Half tracks, not sure why, cause Half Tracks are not listed in Infantry Regimental TOEs, and even then, the usual headgear of the driver and assistant drivers were the Steel Pot.

If you weren't mentioning the 1940 date, my guess would of been a Tank Helmet worn in the 1950s by a Soldier in the 36th Infantry Division's 143rd Infantry Regiment's Tank Company when it was back in the NG, these type decals being common in the 50s like this liner for the 143rd Infantry.

post-169074-0-87635400-1498144341.jpg

post-169074-0-64324000-1498143978.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just got done discussing this particular helmet with Lisa Sharik of the Texas Military Forces Museum. I thought perhaps he was assigned to a halftrack or something in the company. This was her conclusion:

"Leslie S Grave, from Waco Texas was a Private with the 143rd AT at induction on November 25, 1940. He served as a SSgt with the AT through 1948. He was commissioned a 2nd Lt in April 1948 and served as a 1st Lt until 1950.
I was just answering someone in France about half tracks in WWII. Only 5 half tracks were issued to the 36th Infantry Divisions as a whole! All 5 would have been in the 36th Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop.
The markings on the helmet are definitely post WWII. The color of the T-Patch is one we see in the late 1940s and 50s. It is not late 30's or WWII . I have stickers that look just like the 143rd DUI on the helmet which I know came from the 1950s."
Our guess is that he served in divisional armor when the unit returned to National Guard status and that is when he had this helmet made up.