Early American Bayonet with contract marking

nchistory- From what is visible in your pictures, the blade shape looks very similar to the British Brown Bess bayonets. The stamp looks like it said "Washington" at some time. Since I only have a few late, socket bayonets I'm not really sure. But, there are others on the site that will figure it out. SKIP

I don't know about the bayonet itself, but I don't think it can be"Wash". The "ington" looks like it is that, but I don't think that it can be a W or A at the beginning. Have you tried doing a pencil rubbing by laying some thin paper over it?

donation2018.gif

If you ever want a custom hand-embroidered (no machine) patch, I'm open to commissions! Pay or trade!
For an idea of my military collecting interests and wish list, see my profile page!
Looking for Old-Style US Coast Guard Commendation Medal (w/ or w/o ribbon)!

Oh, tarry and be strong; Tell God in prayer. What is thy hidden grief; Thy secret care.

Yet, if no answer come; Pray on and wait: God's time is always best; Never too late.

nchistory- From what is visible in your pictures, the blade shape looks very similar to the British Brown Bess bayonets. The stamp looks like it said "Washington" at some time. Since I only have a few late, socket bayonets I'm not really sure. But, there are others on the site that will figure it out. SKIP

Yes SKIPH is does look like Washington, wasn't sure, thanks for input.

Chris Carroll

]donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

The more I look at it, the more I agree with Elizabeth. It may not be "Washington". Now I did find out that there was a "Washington Arsenal", near where Fort McNair is located. But, it stated they made "fencing bayonets" in the 1840s. Still researching! SKIP