Case M3 what have I got?

G-Company

Hello, I have purchased this knife. It does have the appearance of a WW2 era knife, but I don't think it is real. It is well made and has the looks, but who made it?

I would like to have more opinions about this one.

post-161446-0-02883100-1572165171.jpg

It is slightly wider and longer than the other Utica M3 I have got.

Beacause of that it does not fit in a m8 sheath. post-161446-0-02883100-1572165171.jpg

G-Company- It really looks like a fake to me. First off the "US M3 & CASE" stamp appears to have been stamped out unevenly by hand. Blade width, length, and shape are not quite right. Ordinance stamp on pommel looks a little large, usually CASE used a smaller version of the stamp. Nothing looks right about it to me. SKIP

Skiph, thank you for your comment.

Indeed, just what thought, but the quality (when in hands) is not like any other reproductions i've seen. It is very well made. Do you know who might have made this one?

I think the knife itself is real but the blade has been severely reshaped probably due to a broken point. This pretty much eliminates any collector value.

Just checked about 6-7 M3s, different makers, blade width was consistent at 7/8" in width. CASE, and most other M3s tended to have 6 3/4" blade length average, although there was slight variance. If the tip had been broken, and re-ground it would not be visibly longer than the Utica. Also, the US M3, CASE sits higher up on the guard than the normal stamp, which is lower. Took the picture of the guard stamp from Bill Walter's book(excellent source) . Note the consistency in the alignment of the letters, and the location on the guard. Also note the periods after the U.S. , missing off the one in question. SKIP

Scan_20191027.jpg