VP-24 Alpha patch

Phantomf4

Don't know much about this one, I'd say Japanese made? I don't think this squadron was in the far east? it's 3 inch. anyone know what the Alpha means? A flight? A detachment?

post-153748-0-47997300-1572130326.jpg

post-153748-0-90832600-1572130336.jpg

Salvage Sailor

PATRON 24 "BATMEN", detachment A, patrol squadron twenty four

Nice Japanese made patch

Salvage Sailor

Japanese made was the preferred source for many USN squadrons during the Vietnam era, didn't matter where your duty station was. I'd say this is 1960's

Salvage Sailor

Not a variant, the detachments were small and thus were the patch runs. The parent unit commands (ships, bases, squadrons) could pony up the dough to have an American patch made by Gemsco, Hilborn-Hamburger, etc. since they were making a larger run and would sell more of them in their ships stores or exchanges to recoup the cost. A smaller ship, crew or unit, (a patrol detachment in this instance) could not afford that so they usually ordered a small run from a Japanese or Philippine shop. I doubt that there would be more than 25 of these made for VP-24 Detachment Alpha.

Here is a used/worn one I have for comparison. I might be mistaken, but I thought the Alpha was referring to crews that had achieved "Alpha" status-a type of award for maintaining combat efficiency and readiness.

post-2744-0-52322400-1572139536_thumb.jpg

Here is a used/worn one I have for comparison. I might be mistaken, but I thought the Alpha was referring to crews that had achieved "Alpha" status-a type of award for maintaining combat efficiency and readiness.

I know I don't know. lol

Salvage Sailor

Could be, that's a question for an Airedale

(Edit: or I could just google that.....) and you're correct on the Alpha Crew Status, it's for passing a proficiency test for ASW patrolling.

Precise teamwork is the key to an ASW Alpha crew and the Navy's patrol plane crews are tested and retested before achieving this status.

From the VP-45 pages, "With crewmember changes, we lost "Alpha" status, and had to start over again. I'm very proud that after hard work and constant training flights, we again received "Alpha" status and we were all awarded the Alpha Crew patches. I was told that prior to my assignment to Crew 30, the crew was the first-ever Alpha Crew in a P-3 East Coast fleet..."

So this is not a DET patch afterall, but an Alpha Status patch for VP-24.

There ya go, I learned something today

google.jpg