Yard Sale M1840 "Wristbreaker"

1srelluc

I found this dug M1840 "Wristbreaker" today at a yard sale for $25.00. I asked the lady I got it from if she knew anything about it and she said her grandfather found it in a field on her granddad's farm in Washington Co. MD......Washington Co., MD is where the Battle of Antietam Creek was fought.

I tried to figure out from her were exactly the farm was but she was old and seemed "directionaly challenged". All she knew when I prodded her a bit was that it's "past the battlefield".

Blah, buy the weapon, not the story.

As for the M1840 I believe it is one of the examples of the unmarked German imported models. I have a like example in very good shape.

It took a beating (likely from farming implement strikes) but I've seen a lot worse. The basket is bent upward and the outer "loop" is broke.

DSCN9395__2__JPG-1137030.JPG

DSCN9396__2__JPG-1137031.JPG

Interesting strike.It did not even hurt the blade to speak of.

DSCN9397__2__JPG-1137444.JPG

For a dug item, it is in remarkably good conditions. I wold expect the grip to be totally rotted away.

I suspect it was recovered just before/after the turn of the 20th century and just stored after that.

The old lady looked to be past 80 and her grandfather found it so if you do the approximate math it makes some sense.

Well that's something I'd love to have happen to me. Great find particularly with a possible connection to Antietam. How did you feel as you saw a sword off in the distance?

Well that's something I'd love to have happen to me. Great find particularly with a possible connection to Antietam. How did you feel as you saw a sword off in the distance?

I got there maybe a hour after the start time and there it was, propped-up against the wall of the carport. I just wonder how many yard sale denizens (like myself) had passed it by without seeing it. Then again I was the only one there so maybe it was just a slow traffic day. Who knows.

probably found by the elderly ladies grandfather back around the 1910's , it looks like something that was found after 30 - 40 years outdoors in the woods.

probably found by the elderly ladies grandfather back around the 1910's , it looks like something that was found after 30 - 40 years outdoors in the woods.

That's about what i figured.