What is the Official Name of this piece of Headgear.

patches

post-34986-0-78352400-1571965737_thumb.jpg

Was interested in knowing the official name of this item, didn't have it when I was in, 80-82, but did see it as an article in one of the Army Reserve Magazines I used to get mailed to me in the 83-85 period when I briefly was in an Active Reserve unit and in the IRR, The issue was in one of the 1983 ones I seem to recall, having fairly recently been in Alaska I thought it would of been great to have these. Now in the photo I posted these shown are Army Blue, but the one modeled by the GI in the magazine was Army Green, he posed with it with the ear flaps up and in that new Black overcoat was coming out to replace the Green Overcoat and Green Raincoat, So this indicates to me that an AG44 cap was issued, then a Blue one as well probably right, just for any troops that wore the Army Dress Blues in the 1980s, with the Blue one becoming standard with the advent of the Blue ASUs.

I tried a few keywords in looking, in example Army Green and or Army Blue Winter Cap, Dress Winter Cap, Dress Blue Pile Cap etc etc, but no hits, photo images came up a lot on the WWII Pile Cap and Korean War-50s-60s Pile Cap, mostly the 50s Korean one. So lets talk about this unique headgear item.

As these are worn by the Unknown Soldier guards in the current period, makes me wonder what extreme cold weather headgear they wore way back when, like in the old days when troopers of the 3rd U.S. Cavalry pulled this duty, and through the 80s. Like take a year, say 1954, the 3rd Infantry is now on duty, did these soldiers at the tomb just wear the them Pile Caps, M44 Fur Front Flap or the M51 Cloth Front Flap? Maybe they, in these old days, just wore an approved form, in a drab shade, of civilian ear muffs???

Have to admit photos of the Tomb Guards from days of yore are virtually non existent in any form of weather. seen only online three or four possibly five so far, with a couple or more being small images.

These guys wear different stuff but Id expect its some sort of cold weather hat but not available to all troops. I wouldnt be surprised if they were private purchase but the unit had to buy all the same ones and coordinate when they wear them

In the Police world these are known as "Trooper Winter Hats". When worn with the ear flaps half down and the chin strap undone they were refered to as "Mad Russian Bomber hats" :rolleyes: ,They have a grommet on the front flap for a cap badge.This is a great design and did its job.

These guys wear different stuff but Id expect its some sort of cold weather hat but not available to all troops. I wouldnt be surprised if they were private purchase but the unit had to buy all the same ones and coordinate when they wear them

Yes but this was show cased as mentioned in Army Green in the early-sh 80s the article as I recall did say it would be available soon. This though could be an item for private purchase from Clothing Sales, and not a Phase 2 issue, Phase 2 issue back in the day (Don't know if it's called this today) was the initial issue of all Class A uniform items, to include in my day the Khaki Uniform, Phase 1 was all Fatique Items and sundy items like underwear, hankies,socks etc etc.

Perhaps the, for lack of a better word, Fur Cap, being an alternative item for wear in extreme cold weather when in dress and not in formation, like say Recruiters for one, or a proscribed one for duty, like MPs, damn wish I had that article, who knows maybe that photo might of appeared in several different Army periodicals of the day, maybe even in Army Times (The Army's Newspaper).

And found at least the Nomenclature for the Army Green type from the old days, from a AR 670-1, year unknown.

Cap, Cold weather, AG shade 489

a. Type. The cold-weather cap is an optional purchase item.
b. Description. The cap is made of AG shade 489 fabric with a black synthetic fur visor and side flaps. Snap fasteners are attached to hold the visor and flaps in the up position. An eyelet in the center of the front visor is provided to center and attach headgear insignia. Because of the thickness of the fur pile, headgear insignia worn on the cap must have a center post and screw. Therefore, all soldiers will wear the male headgear insignia on the cold-weather cap (see para 28â3 and fig 27â5).
[1]
c. How worn. The cap is worn straight on the head so that the headgear insignia is centered on the forehead. No hair will be visible on the forehead. The side flaps are fastened under the chin when the flaps are worn down. The cap is authorized for wear when wearing the black windbreaker with the class B uniform and with the black all-weather coat with service, dress, mess, hospital duty, and food service uniforms. It is not authorized for wear when the black pullover or cardigan sweaters are worn as outer garments with the class B uniform.

Patches,

In my 1 September 1992 dated AR 670-1, page 92, para 6-27 it is identified as: Cap, cold weather, AG 344/489.

a. Type: The cold weather cap is optional purchase

b. Description: The cap is made of Army green 344 or 489 fabric with a black synthetic fur visor and side flaps. Snap fasteners are attached to hold the visor and side flaps in the up position. An eyelet in the center of the front visor is provided to center and attached headgear insignia (see paragraph 27-3, see figure 26-6.

c. How worn: The cap will be worn straight on the head so that the insignia will be centered on the forehead. No hair will be visible on the forehead. The side flaps will be fastened under the chin when the flaps are worn down. The cap is authorized for wear when wearing the black windbreaker with the green uniform and with the black all weather coat with service, dress, mess, hospital, and food services uniforms. It will not be worn with the black pullover sweater.

Leigh

post-5554-0-73703000-1572015586.jpg

Patches,

In my 1 September 1992 dated AR 670-1, page 92, para 6-27 it is identified as: Cap, cold weather, AG 344/489.

a. Type: The cold weather cap is optional purchase

b. Description: The cap is made of Army green 344 or 489 fabric with a black synthetic fur visor and side flaps. Snap fasteners are attached to hold the visor and side flaps in the up position. An eyelet in the center of the front visor is provided to center and attached headgear insignia (see paragraph 27-3, see figure 26-6.

c. How worn: The cap will be worn straight on the head so that the insignia will be centered on the forehead. No hair will be visible on the forehead. The side flaps will be fastened under the chin when the flaps are worn down. The cap is authorized for wear when wearing the black windbreaker with the green uniform and with the black all weather coat with service, dress, mess, hospital, and food services uniforms. It will not be worn with the black pullover sweater.

Leigh

Thanks Leigh, yeah we must of been searching and typing around the same time :lol:

We'll keep an eye out for photo AG one either in use or one for sale somewhere.

• 9 months later...
Ranger-1972

Here is a photo of the cold weather cap worn with the Army Service Uniform (same midnight blue color as the dress blue coat).  The green version was worn with the old green Class A uniform & overcoat when not in formation (e.g., optional purchase).  Wore this when attending ceremonies with the German Army in northern Germany in the dead of winter.  Not stylish, but certainly beats frost-bitten ears!

This is an issue item for the 3rd Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard) because they perform ceremonies outdoors in the middle of winter in their dress uniforms.  Similar to issuing the Dress Blue Overcoat to The Old Guard.

https://www.shopmyexchange.com/army-service-dress-cold-weather-hat-asu-/6356378