WW2 Navy marked athletic gear

Picked up a few neat things that are all WW2 era. Here is a volleyball that I’ve never seen before.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191024/1ef4bf68faeb1beabf05f3190b5aed01.plisthttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191024/346c45b98d83d7eabad91dcc82138de5.plist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are pretty cool pieces. Sporting equipment was provided throughout the theaters of combat in addition to within the 48 states with ALL of the items being sourced through fund-raising and donations. Clark Griffith, the owner of the Washington Senators baseball club began this charity during WWI, the result of which raised a fantastic amount of money to purchase athletic equipment for the troops. In WWII, he went into action again along with several other organizations as they staged exhibition baseball games (throughout the war) that raised millions of dollars to purchase every racket, ball, baseball glove, bat, football, catcher's protective set, uniforms, boxing gloves, etc. If it was a piece of sporting equipment, it was privately purchased.

Those (above) are two of my programs from games that were played in LA, staged by actor/comedian Joe E. Brown to get Pacific theater troops equipped. Brown's own son was a ferrying pilot (6th Ferrying Group) whose A-26 crashed as he was on his way to deliver the aircraft to a squadron. Brown's son perished in the crash.

I do not profess to be a militaria expert, but I conduct as much research as I am capable of and then write about my findings.
Check out my blogs, The Veteran's Collection (general militaria) and Chevrons and Diamonds (military baseball)

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

Thanks for the info, very interesting. I will be posting a full size punching bag still in its original packaging that this Navy guy sent home to his wife or mother during the war. Still has all the shipping tags and everything on it. I wish I could take it out and get it back into it but that will be impossible.

I couldn't keep such large items if I wanted to. A punching bag? My goodness! I stick to bats, balls, gloves/mitts, cleats and uniforms. I am looking for A decent catcher's rig (army or Navy), but that's the extent of it.

I do not profess to be a militaria expert, but I conduct as much research as I am capable of and then write about my findings.
Check out my blogs, The Veteran's Collection (general militaria) and Chevrons and Diamonds (military baseball)

I don’t think I will keep the punching bag but it was a you gotta buy it all deal. I have a garage, maybe hide it in there.

Seems like someone else had a motivation to move the bag and probably kept the pieces he liked from the group when he got it.