Two Navy Deck Jackets with Vet Attribution

MasonK

Was able to acquire these from the daughter in-law of the vet through Facebook.

Vet was local, having served for 20 years from 1942-1962. No muster rolls, and based on what the family told me, he remained stateside throughout his service as aircraft mechanic. Majority of his service was at what once was the Naval Air Station in Willow Grove, PA.

The daughter in-law is going to look for any other paperwork/items that belonged to vet, and believes she has a photo somewhere of him in uniform. In the meantime, some info below courtesy of forum member aznation

post-29885-0-21304000-1571952671.jpg

post-29885-0-97837900-1571952664.jpg

The first jacket is WWII era, and is in the best condition of the two. I believe the contract dates it to mid 1942. Only issue is the box pin for the zipper is missing. The alpaca fur is in great shape, and it's a decent size jacket. Vet was 5'11". If I lost a few lbs, I could wear it. :D

In reading other topics on the forum, I don't believe there is any significance to the stencils on the reverse (location specific), but if anyone can make heads or tails of them, I'd love to hear what you know.

post-29885-0-89326100-1571952866_thumb.jpg

post-29885-0-60700800-1571952871_thumb.jpg

The next jacket received a little more love compared to the former. This one has a 1968 contract date. Obviously post vet service, unless he wore it while in reserve status. Clearly the vet favored this jacket, and likely wore it often given it's condition.

post-29885-0-84136200-1571953070_thumb.jpg

post-29885-0-93391800-1571953076_thumb.jpg

That's all for now. Hopefully the family follows through with the photo, and I can put a face to the jackets.

Thanks for looking!

Salvage Sailor

The next jacket received a little more love compared to the former. This one has a 1968 contract date. Obviously post vet service, unless he wore it while in reserve status. Clearly the vet favored this jacket, and likely wore it often given it's condition.

attachicon.gifVietnam 1.jpg

attachicon.gifVietnam 2.jpg

The second deck jacket was probably picked up as a surplus item by the vet.

USS WICHITA (AOR-1) Replenishment Oiler in service 1969 to 1993

AOR-1.jpg

Thanks for the info, Savage Sailor.

I actually just got off the phone with one of the sons of the vet. Turns out the son served in the Navy during Vietnam, and there was an uncle (brother of the vet) who had 30 years service, also in the Navy. Possible the jacket belonged to one of them. Now knowing which vessel, I may be able to confirm.

I'm meeting up with the son one day next week, and he's going to let me look through and scan documents/photos from his father's service

He was able to tell me that his father did serve in Guam at some point during WWII. He was part of an Engine Build-up team, working on reciprocating engines.

More to follow...

Very nice group and I hope you will get more.

I once had a small group from a pilot who served at Willow Grove.

Very nice group and I hope you will get more.

I once had a small group from a pilot who served at Willow Grove.

Thanks, and hoping so too.

Wouldn't be surprised if Kooker worked on your pilots aircraft.

Surprisingly, I don't run across much from those who served there. Have only one other grouping, and it's to a Marine.

I found the group I had in York, Pa. in 1991.

The pilots next door neighbor was the executor and sold it to me at a yard sale.

It took several decades before I found out that the patch on the flight jacket was a Willow Grove Squadron.

I might have posted it on the forum but I can’t find it.

• 2 weeks later...