Robbins Command Pilot Flying R_____

The Rooster

Hello,

Ive been gone for a while. Been into M1 helmets for a while now. But today....

I came across this beauty and couldnt resist.

Had to have it. Its a heavy wing. Pretty sure these are ww2. ???

post-181333-0-57622500-1571933684_thumb.jpg

There are a few threads about the "winged R" hallmark and when it was likely used. In general, I think the consensus is that this is a later hallmark used in the 50's and 60's on the command pilot wings. Although there is some evidence that this particular hallmark may have been used during WWII on paratrooper jump wings.

You would think that if it was newer, it would have the posts electro welded??

These appear to be welded on the old way.

And there are a pair here on this site for sale under the ww2 command piot wing catagory.

http://www.militaryaviationartifacts.com/wings.htm

I dont know of couse. Just wondering as I have also heard they are post war. But Im begining to think they are ww2.

Cant prove it. Just seems to be evidence that the hallmark was used during ww2.

Even Bobs site pegs them as ww2.

And if they were 50's and 60's , would they not have the alfa numeric hallmark required at those times?

And the post soldering???

Thanks for pointing those out on my site. As you can imagine it's a bit hard to remember all of the wings that are out there since I started the site in 1997. Patrick is right, the consensus on these is that they are post war. I'm going to have to remove that one from my site until further information comes along that can actually place it during WW2. Still a beautiful and well constructed wing but I fall into the camp that it's post-WW2.

Thanks for pointing those out on my site. As you can imagine it's a bit hard to remember all of the wings that are out there since I started the site in 1997. Patrick is right, the consensus on these is that they are post war. I'm going to have to remove that one from my site until further information comes along that can actually place it during WW2. Still a beautiful and well constructed wing but I fall into the camp that it's post-WW2.

Hi Bob,

Thank you. I did find this quote on a site today...

Robbins used a very distinctive winged R hallmark that was raised but set within and inset cartouche or box. Also found on aviation wings. Believed to be immediate post WWII through the 50's.

Maybe at some point it will be figured out and pin-pointed verifiable. But it looks like you all are saying. Post war.

I'm wondering why its not for certain?

Mystery of wing collecting.

This pattern of wing is also exactly the same as the Josten Command Pilot wings. My Josten CP wing has the shorter posts typical of WWII wings while my Robbins CP wing has the longer posts. I also have a pin back CP wing in this pattern that has no makers mark but does have a raised sterling mark. My suspicion is Robbins made the wings for Jostens.

This pattern of wing is also exactly the same as the Josten Command Pilot wings. My Josten CP wing has the shorter posts typical of WWII wings while my Robbins CP wing has the longer posts. I also have a pin back CP wing in this pattern that has no makers mark but does have a raised sterling mark. My suspicion is Robbins made the wings for Jostens.

I looked up the Jostens on Bobs site and you are right, they look like the same wing.

http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/usaaf/commandpilot/jostenaafcommandpilot.shtml