WWII chin straps sewing, how to?

B-17 guy

Im looking for some help with sewing chin straps onto a pair of M1 helmets I have. I already have the new straps, just need to see exactly how to do it correctly. Ive scoured YouTube and google and cant find anything. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

i went through the same thing......i bought an old sewing machine and played with stitching . i found the correct stitching. its called a bar and tack stitch........with a close patteren.........when i do it it matches damn near perfect

Captainofthe7th

The method is called 'bartacking.' I'm not sure what level of machine you need for it - in home or industrial - and you need special needles as the material you're punching through is robust.

Rob

Looks like Phil beat me to it -- glad to know you were able to do it at home.

Thanks but I should’ve been more clear, I’m looking for how to fold the new straps more than what kind of stitch. I’m gonna sew them on the old fashioned way, needle and thread. Can you show pics of the folds and how they look at the bail please? What’s the length of the fold under etc. should be going through 3 layers of material with the needle, correct?