Vietnam Seal Grouping

Billyrayjimbob

Billyrayjimbob

Hi, I've been a lurker on this forum for years, since I'm a knife collector and its a great reference. I recently acquired this collection of stuff from another guy who got it from his neighbor, the wife of a Vietnam era Navy Seal who passed away from cancer a decade ago. We were going to put it in a shadow box for display at the local VFW but now I'm not sure that this guy was really a member of Seal Team One. I had Don Shipley run a search of the BUD/S database and Mr. Lennon's name was not on the list, so Don said he could not have been a Seal or UDT. So now I am trying to figure out what I've got here. Even Lennon wasn't a Seal, he gathered a bunch of authentic Vietnam memorabilia in the 60s and 70s. I know people who think he was a spook, because they saw a Mac-10 he had in a specially built briefcase. He was definitely in Vietnam from 66-74, but he wouldn't talk about it. Supposedly he was a communications expert after he left active duty. He worked for the phone company in civilian life. I know a guy who sold a bunch of Vietnam era radio, surveillance and eavesdropping gear for Lennon on Ebay years ago.

So I'd like to figure out what of this collection of stuff is real Vietnam era stuff and what is not. If Lennon was a poser, none of this stuff is going up in the VFW. But if he was really a spook, he deserves credit for that. In the photo there is a MACV-SOG get out of jail free card. Different from all the ones I've found on the web. It says "Do Not Laminate" on the back. Very well worn, but the weird thing is I have a mimeographed copy of the card when it was new. Just like we photocopy our passports and other important papers when we travel. Comments are welcome, that's why I'm posting, If anyone want to see more photos, just let me know. If I can even figure out how to do that.

post-258540-0-91182300-1571794883_thumb.jpg

post-258540-0-93425900-1571797648.jpg

Billyrayjimbob

Here is another picture of the MAVC-SOG card. Practically worn away, unlike the mimeograph copy from when it was new. No made in Japan mark or ink stamp on it.

post-258540-0-41618400-1571798691.jpg

Like Shipley says, no one by that name in UDT or SEALs during VN. I'd like to see the back of the Trident, the SEAL Team One beer can, and the paperwork to see what is going on for sure.

Billyrayjimbob

Isn't that a beautiful Gerber Mark 1? The serial number on the blackened blade dates it to 1978. Supposedly it was presented to Lennon when he separated from the Navy for good after 10 years in the reserves.

Deceased Name: Rick Vance Lennon

Albany Democrat-Herald (OR) - March 26, 2009

Section: Obituaries

March 21, 1943 - March 23, 2009

Rick V. Lennon , 66, of Cascadia died Monday at his home.

Rick was born in Fort Dodge, Iowa, the son of Leo and Donna (Bloomquist) Lennon . He moved to Southern California as an infant, where he attended his schooling. He graduated from Los Gatos High School in 1961. He served in the U.S. Navy for four years during the Vietnam era. Rick moved to Cascadia in 1974, where he had lived for the past 35 years. He worked for CenturyTel in Sweet Home and Lebanon for several years.

Rick enjoyed target shooting and was a member of the NRA. He was a member of the VFW in Sweet Home and attended Cascadia Bible Church. He was an avid reader and enjoyed growing bamboo.

Rick was married to Sandra Schultz in Campbell, Calif., on May 24, 1966.

He is survived by his wife, Sandra, of Cascadia; two brothers; sister-in-law Dianne Day of Harrisburg; one niece; and one nephew.

A memorial gathering will be at 11 a.m. Friday at Cascadia Bible Church. The family requests memorial contributions may be sent to the American Cancer Society, in care of Huston-Jost Funeral Home, 86 W. Grant St., Lebanon, OR 97355.

Based on what I have read and seen, especially from Jason Hardy, the SOG ID is bogus. I have the exact same one I got from Lancer Militaria when I was a kid.

Do you have definitive proof he served in Vietnam? To have served from 1966-1974 is, IMO, highly unlikely, even for a spook. I do know of USAID or other Foreign Service types who served a long time in country, but eight consecutive years?

If he isn't on a BUDS or SEAL roster but he says he was a SEAL, I'd say that's a gigantic red flag on what he actually did in the service.

Unfortunately, tons of posers out there have gone to great lengths to fool people, including typing up their own awards and making up their own plaques.

But I'm open to any info you have on him, just very skeptical right now.

Billyrayjimbob

Like Shipley says, no one by that name in UDT or SEALs during VN. I'd like to see the back of the Trident, the SEAL Team One beer can, and the paperwork to see what is going on for sure.

Spike, Thanks for your comment. I'm convinced Lennon wasn't a Seal. I will get some photos up of the trident and beer can, along with a bunch of the smaller items. I'm looking at the DD214 right now and will provide information on that in my reply to another post. But basically I'm thinking now that I've got a hodge-podge of items pulled together with no legitimate provenance.

Billyrayjimbob

Based on what I have read and seen, especially from Jason Hardy, the SOG ID is bogus. I have the exact same one I got from Lancer Militaria when I was a kid.

Do you have definitive proof he served in Vietnam? To have served from 1966-1974 is, IMO, highly unlikely, even for a spook. I do know of USAID or other Foreign Service types who served a long time in country, but eight consecutive years?

If he isn't on a BUDS or SEAL roster but he says he was a SEAL, I'd say that's a gigantic red flag on what he actually did in the service.

Unfortunately, tons of posers out there have gone to great lengths to fool people, including typing up their own awards and making up their own plaques.

But I'm open to any info you have on him, just very skeptical right now.

Longhorn, there were red flags all over this stuff. The first one was one set of the jump wings look like they came from a flea market - poor quality (sand cast?), with the back finished with a file. No reason for that to be there unless it was purchased somewhere to add to the collection. Then one of the Seal qualification cards lists him as an expert with the XM-71. I couldn't find anything about that ever being more than a prototype that was never developed. Then finally the DD214. It says Lennon was active duty from 64 to 68, then transferred to the reserves until 1970. Duty station was the USS Ticonderoga out of San Diego. Specialty was ABE-0000 (Aviation Boatswains Mate). Related civilian occupation was Machine Install Repair Occupations. All of the education and training were related to working on a flight deck - basic hand tools, hoisting, catapults and recovery equipment, etc.

Lennon did serve in Vietnam, but it looks like it was on a carrier. The DD214 and his list of commendations both list the National Defense Medal, Vietnam Service Medal with three bronze stars, the Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal, and the Navy Unit Commendation. Basically what everyone on the Ticonderoga at that time was awarded. So that was why I reached out to Shipley to look into the guy. Well he definitely wasn't a Seal, and now it looks like the spook story is shot down too, if the Get out of Jail Free card isn't real either. Darn. Looks like I've just got a collection of miscellaneous stuff pulled together for a story.

• 2 weeks later...
Billyrayjimbob

Spike, it took me a while, but here is the back of the trident

post-258540-0-65512200-1572656152_thumb.jpg

Billyrayjimbob

Spike,

Here is the beer can, front and back

post-258540-0-65521800-1572656284.jpg

post-258540-0-13565500-1572656392.jpg

Thanks for sharing these photos. The Trident made by Vanguard is post Vietnam War and the ST-1 beer can is fake or copy not the real McCoy.