M67 Frag grenade current issue.

It seems there has been some added " safety" devices on our most current M67, Internet research shows them going into production about 2015. Notice the 1) pin 2) safety clip 3) added confidence clip. I picked up a few of these inert museum, collector examples correctly inked and assembled with USGI components. The only thing missing is the interior matrix and explosive.post-180924-0-65156400-1571786396_thumb.jpeg

Kaptainssurplus

The confidence clip was actually added earlier than 2015. I think that it started full issue in/around 2015 but I have range pickups from all the way back to 2012 that have the new confidence clip. The fuzes are made by MEI. I remember them testing it years ago for a long time. They have added them to all new issue grenades even the ASM. I'll go back and look at the spoons that were picked up years ago and see what the dates are on those.

The bodies on those are nicely done but are replicas. I recently found a current inert M67 for the collection after an 8 or 9 year search. Late issue types are very hard to find.

I think the M67 now ranks as our longest serving standard fragmentation grenade, entering the inventory around 1960-61. They didn't appear in Vietnam until 1969 as the roll-coined fragmentation design (part of the controlled fragmentation, or COFRAM, program) was classified and the Army didn't want to reveal the technology to the enemy on the battlefield. The secrecy was mainly assigned to various air dropped and artillery submunitions being developed but the basic M33/M67 grenade was lumped in there as well.

In addition to the confidence clip, the latest versions issued have had the stenciled markings moved to the top surface of the body. This was done because the troops in the field would continually wrap tape around the body and spoon as an added safety feature. When the tape was removed, the nomenclature markings would be removed as well. And by regulation, if the markings are illegible, the item becomes unserviceable.

New%20M67%202.jpg

New%20M67%203.jpg

New%20M67%201.jpg

The bodies on those are nicely done but are replicas. I recently found a current inert M67 for the collection after an 8 or 9 year search. Late issue types are very hard to find.

I think the M67 now ranks as our longest serving standard fragmentation grenade, entering the inventory around 1960-61. They didn't appear in Vietnam until 1969 as the roll-coined fragmentation design (part of the controlled fragmentation, or COFRAM, program) was classified and the Army didn't want to reveal the technology to the enemy on the battlefield. The secrecy was mainly assigned to various air dropped and artillery submunitions being developed but the basic M33/M67 grenade was lumped in there as well.

In addition to the confidence clip, the latest versions issued have had the stenciled markings moved to the top surface of the body. This was done because the troops in the field would continually wrap tape around the body and spoon as an added safety feature. When the tape was removed, the nomenclature markings would be removed as well. And by regulation, if the markings are illegible, the item becomes unserviceable.

New%20M67%202.jpg

New%20M67%203.jpg

New%20M67%201.jpg

Very nice, extremely rare example you have. I to have seen only two factory original M67 frags FS in ten plus years, and they brought $450 plus. I do not have those deep pockets. These I have were a one time 400 each production lot ( 200 w/out added clip, 200 with confidence clip), the bodies are full spherical ( no bottom hole) stainless steel. Assembled with USGI components- pin, spoon, washer, fuze assy and filled to weigh the correct 14 ounces. The body inking was applied with a 2015 production date, supposedly when the added confidence clip was added. They were made for museums and civilian training examples, with working spring/ fuze striker. Thank you for posting the pictures and information. Does yours have the impressed matrix interior?

Yes, the body has the fragmentation coining inside. The easy way to spot that is to look at the bottom of the body. The impressed frag coining always shows through as seen in the photo below.

It is a 2009 loaded piece, which is the earliest I'm aware of the confidence clip being added. I'm still trying to figure out who "STL" is, the loading facility where the Comp B filler was added and the markings applied. If anyone knows, please add it to the conversation. Google searches for STL are pretty pointless trying to wade through the millions of St. Louis results.New%20M67%204.jpg

I have a few of the Fibre containers for the M67. Would anyone be able to tell me when the manufacture date is? The inking " G881 Comp B LS- 06C069-002"post-180924-0-35884300-1572135849_thumb.jpeg

I'm pretty sure the current marking scheme translation on these would indicate they were loaded at the Lone Star Army Ammunition Plant near Texarkana, TX in 2006. I believe the C stands for the month of production (March) and the remaining numbers are the assigned lot number.

I was going through some of my M67 Frag containers, lot numbers different. A few are marked " G881 Comp,B Lot LS-56-505A". The metal end caps marked with a 1972-1974 dates. Obviously a different coding system. What to make of the LS-56-505A inkings?

Very nice grenades. Did they come with the Fibre containers? I would be interested to know how they are inked, and what dates are on the metal ends.

The question about when the latest confidence clip was added to the M67. An Army Stars and Stripes article dated May 2013 mentioned a panel was deciding redesign. They came up the 90 degree pin pull confidence clip and would start to be manufactured shortly. So 2015 for full production would seem correct ( what I was told). They mentioned this design was chosen so as the soldiers in the field would not feel they had to additionally tape the spoon any longer. Interesting history. A link about the process taking 7 years alone with the training grenade .

https://www.ncdmm.org/blog/2016/06/26/grenade-confidence-clip-automation-improves-productivity-1000/

Also, a recent you tube video stating the M67 w/ confidence clip is still not wide spread production.

Searching .mil articles state 900,000 grenades are in inventory, and as of 2017 the confidence clip has not yet been widely fielded. About right, in WW2 the M10A2 fuze was modified and fielded to M10A 3 fuzes in less than a year. From memory, about 500,000 pineapples were manufactured during WW2, seems grand paw's Army worked a lot quicker than today's Army.

It is a 2009 loaded piece, which is the earliest I'm aware of the confidence clip being added. I'm still trying to figure out who "STL" is, the loading facility where the Comp B filler was added and the markings applied. If anyone knows, please add it to the conversation. Google searches for STL are pretty pointless trying to wade through the millions of St. Louis results.

Hi Rick,

STL = Spectra Technologies LLC. East Camden, AR.

Stay safe,

Frank

• 2 years later...
TheSpiritOfRadio

Where can I get a replica like this? (Not a blue training grenade with a blue handle.) I would like to purchase just the entire head assembly if possible. Please advise

TheSpiritOfRadio
1 hour ago, TheSpiritOfRadio said:

Where can I get a replica like this? (Not a blue training grenade with a blue handle.) I would like to purchase just the entire head assembly if possible. Please advise

With O ring...

Not current or green, but real. A real M67 inert filled body and fuse. All dated 1969. I’ve never seen another one like it. 

image.jpeg.ce32b6ae0d265b64fdd8e6d3c3cdc35e.jpeg

image.jpeg.131766cba18d32afd0caeb824b6f5a64.jpeg

image.jpeg.160ca4564af4609c3a16b1ad71604b92.jpeg

image.jpeg.9ed2ac48e31e04ad77b33045f4a94718.jpeg

image.jpeg.df57793aebc72bd8d741dd33e82836bc.jpeg

image.jpeg.54010db39d992fc574a352539a181b59.jpeg

TheSpiritOfRadio
On 10/26/2019 at 3:32 PM, ordnance said:

Yes, the body has the fragmentation coining inside. The easy way to spot that is to look at the bottom of the body. The impressed frag coining always shows through as seen in the photo below.

It is a 2009 loaded piece, which is the earliest I'm aware of the confidence clip being added. I'm still trying to figure out who "STL" is, the loading facility where the Comp B filler was added and the markings applied. If anyone knows, please add it to the conversation. Google searches for STL are pretty pointless trying to wade through the millions of St. Louis results.New%20M67%204.jpg

Yup CCs came in 2009.

Note the bottom Note.

Capture.PNG

As per https://armypubs.army.mil/epubs/DR_pubs/DR_a/ARN32976-TC_3-23.30-000-WEB-1.pdf

On 4/6/2022 at 10:13 AM, TheSpiritOfRadio said:

Which paint color is the closest to current issue?

https://shop.midwestmilitary.com/product-category/catalyzed-urethane-paint-category/spray-paint/

Or is it none of those?

The Technical Data Package (TDP) will state what the MIL-STD color it needs to be. Every piece of military gear has a specific color associated with it and if it also is CARC'd (Chemical Agent Resistant Coating.). 

So google search MIL-STD color M67 frag grenade. A multitude of suppliers provide the paint and is easily available online.

update, here: https://govtribe.com/file/government-file/w52p1j19r0032-attachment-0026-tdpl-m67-dot-pdf