Was that 29th Ranger tab good?

mortaydc60

It is nice to see a real identified title and see the back of it.The one I posted is a known fake that was not worked over and made to look like a real one.That is what is great about the Forum you get to see things you never thought you would.Scotty

I do not know,have not gotten book to date,but would not be surprised. They had taken literally hours of pictures of my collection so could be.

While I understand the logic/theory behind your statement, this unit (29th Ranger Battalion) was active for only a few months in 1943 and these titles/tabs were only produced for a short time as well-- some say only one, possibly two batches of these were made, and the construction material was (more than likely) uniform throughout the run and didn't vary....thus the rarity in finding known originals.

The titles were procured through British Ordnance. It's claimed that 5000 29th Ranger titles were submitted by contract through Branston Depot on behalf of U.S. Army. Branston Ordnance Depot was a major supplier for clothing and other small equipment to the British Army during WWII. I wasn't to locate any official documentation that 5000 items were actually delivered, the amount seams excessive for such a smaller unit. These felt titles could have been procured from different contractors (ie. tailors) under contract with MOD.

It's known fact that upon completing training at the CTC, the were awarded a pair of paratroop boots and a 3-inch felt 29th Ranger title for use on Ike jacket.

Interestingly the title Bill has shown with white stabilizer backing said to be a reproduction uses a similar backing material as found on Original Early British badges. The title production is made very similar to British Officer's title for use on battle dress.

There is a wealth of information from official War Department documents related to the 29th Rangers, from formation to disband. It can be found at National Archive in D.C. under file AG 320.

CDub

Interesting information about the British Ordnance order CDub. An order of 5000 does seem excessive given the Unit size.

I mentioned in an earlier post about not having seen the white stabilizer material on wartime titles, do you have an example in your collection showing this feature on an early title?

Thanks

Paul

I'm not sure if everyone is aware that this tab was part of an identified grouping of insignia and uniform items. I was in contact with the seller because years ago I purchased an almost identical 29th Infantry Division Ranger tab on eBay and have been unsure like everyone else if it was a genuine piece due to the white backing material that I have yet to come across on British made tabs. However when this tab surfaced I thought to myself what are the odds and felt that there was a chance that they were genuine, I was hoping that the seller of this tab would add to this discussion by releasing photos of the grouping to include the identity of the soldier. I had previously suggested to him that it would be better to sell the grouping together instead of just trying to sell the tab by itself but this obviously didn't happen. What little I know about the 29th Inf Div Rangers is was what others have written and others have speculated that there were two separate batches of tabs made due to the fact that there were two separate training cycles where the tabs were handed out at graduation. Supposedly the lettering was always blue in color not black like you see on the upper most tab in Post 27. Below is a picture of my tab.

post-1389-0-61918100-1572474773_thumb.jpg

post-1389-0-89587200-1572474794_thumb.jpg

I can’t remember if I have ever posted these two pictures before on another thread, but being that they are both identified examples I thought it’d be worth putting them up again for comparison purposes....no doubt on their provenance.

The first example is on display at our museum, donated by the family of a L/116th soldier from Augusta County, Virginia who was KIA on 6 June 1944....IMO never on a uniform.

post-8237-0-51584800-1572481328_thumb.jpeg

This example is still in possession of the veteran’s family, in this case a veteran of E/175th that was also in A Co., 29th Rangers.

post-8237-0-57496000-1572481985_thumb.jpeg

BILL THE PATCH

I'm not sure if everyone is aware that this tab was part of an identified grouping of insignia and uniform items.  I was in contact with the seller because years ago I purchased an almost identical 29th Infantry Division Ranger tab on eBay and have been unsure like everyone else if it was a genuine piece due to the white backing material that I have yet to come across on British made tabs.  However when this tab surfaced I thought to myself what are the odds and felt that there was a chance that they were genuine,  I was hoping that the seller of this tab would add to this discussion by releasing photos of the grouping to include the identity of the soldier.  I had previously suggested to him that it would be better to sell the grouping together instead of just trying to sell the tab by itself but this obviously didn't happen.  What little I know about the 29th Inf Div Rangers is was what others have written and others have speculated that there were two separate batches of tabs made due to the fact that there were two separate training cycles where the tabs were handed out at graduation.  Supposedly the lettering was always blue in color not black like you see on the upper most tab in Post 27.  Below is a picture of my tab.  

I almost bought the group, but it really had no provedense. Nothing was marked, medals were not engraved. Only printed material by off the internet about the vet. So I decided to back out. That's when I noticed the patch for sale by itself. 850.00 was in my opinion to much with no solid provedense.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

A great reference source that highlights the two slight variations of this rare tab is the Schiffer Military Book ' U.S Army Rangers and Special Forces of WW2'. The tabs are shown on page 45.

I was once told that one sign of an original tab was the space between the small 'h' and the capital 'R'. Most reproductions have a small gap while the larger space can be seen on original examples.

Paul