Was that 29th Ranger tab good?

mortaydc60

This item ended recently but did not see any posting on forum about it. Item # 254384416589. could not dowload image. Looked OK on front but the back had white material instead of the accepted black cloth, Sold for mid $300 and was in poor condition.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/79218-29th-rangers-patch/?hl=%2B29th+%2Branger&do=findComment&comment=576444

From what it went for and for the publicity that was seen on the forum and based upon construction vs the above link I would think it is not legit. My two cents: patch made to look aged and original seller from grouping hoped it would fetch $2500 but it went for $400 or so.

But that is my opinion and worth maybe a free coffee if your in Orange County in my neighborhood.

Also, I misplaced my ranger book from the Kellers so I am only going off of forum photos.

IMO the shoulder title is a trash bin piece based on materials used to produce. As an Orginal period English made piece, this title is flawed in every way from embroidery to backing.

Embroidery is to thick and font is off for the time period specifically the number 9, H, N, G and S.

post-161992-0-37238200-1571833678_thumb.jpg

Backing material isn't something used by the English during WWII.

post-161992-0-10676900-1571833691_thumb.jpg

CDub

I agree with Gunslinger that the one that started this post is not real.Here is one that has not been worked on and made to look like it's original and off of a jacket or shirt.Scotty

2019-10-23_112711.jpg

2019-10-23_112844.jpg

Apparently this was discussed in the What’s it Worth section; there the feeling was it was real and a steal. In this section it was trashed. I think it is bad mainly due to back construction. Most feel more comfortable with a black back. This is not to say that there is none with white on back. Have seen and had well known British dealer/ manufacturer say so. Believe it or not there is a bullion believe made in Belgium in existence.

We have an identified example from the family of a L/116 soldier who was KIA on 6 June in the 116th Regiment Museum collection, however it is in a framed mount that currently does not allow access to the back of the tab to reveal how the back looks. I will look into how hard it would be to sneek a peek and hopefully report back.

Having been involved with direct embroidery and commercial production in the past, If you will look at the back in photo #6. The take up backing (white part) is the kind used currently & relatively currently. Its a solid fiber construction. Just look at the back of any baseball cap made in the past 20 years and you will see the same take up material. (I would post an example of what I am referencing but I have a popsicle headache from trying to resize the photo). If you look at the example that Scotty shows in post #7 that is the proper weave take up material. Hope this helps.

TH1

Not an original tab / title in my opinion. I compared it to 30 or so British WW2 titles I own and none were of similar construction.

Attached is a photo of two original titles.

Paul

post-101786-0-17304300-1571892521_thumb.jpg

Not an original tab / title in my opinion. I compared it to 30 or so British WW2 titles I own and none were of similar construction.

Attached is a photo of two original titles.

Paul

Paul, do you have a shot of the front side of these tabs...? It would be nice to see that too. Thank you :)

Bill, very nice title you can immediately see yours is a Genuine English production piece. It has all the aspects that is characteristic of the time period from the base material to the backing.

I think some collectors focus too much on one aspect and completely overlook all other characteristics of the item. Example being black vs white stabilizer material, which is irrelevant since the British used Black, Grey, Brown, Tan or even white or could even be pasteback with or without black or any other color back threads. The key is the materials that were available and used to produce the item.

Ultimately the item speak for itself, an original item will hold up to scrutiny vs a reproduction will scream fake.

CDub

I think some collectors focus too much on one aspect and completely overlook all other characteristics of the item. Example being black vs white stabilizer material, which is irrelevant since the British used Black, Grey, Brown, Tan or even white or could even be pasteback with or without black or any other color back threads. The key is the materials that were available and used to produce the item.

While I understand the logic/theory behind your statement, this unit (29th Ranger Battalion) was active for only a few months in 1943 and these titles/tabs were only produced for a short time as well-- some say only one, possibly two batches of these were made, and the construction material was (more than likely) uniform throughout the run and didn't vary....thus the rarity in finding known originals.

And No 2. Sorry about the red tab on red background!

Paul:

When looking at the picture you posted of the back of your two tabs, it would appear that one is slightly larger than the other-- at first thought it looks as though maybe one was trimmed closer but even when you compare the lettering between the two, one example has the length of the lettering a bit longer.

Good evidence of two different batch runs perhaps....?