Late Vietnam helmet set valuation?

glenm

Hi guys, just for interest, what would be the value of this Vietnam War set (WWII front seam swivel loop, scratched markings for a Captain in the 50's repaint), 60's liner, all correctly dated, etc (complete with what looks like Vietnam red mud on the liner), cover marked up with various names etc, all dating to 1972-1973, which must narrow down the usage at the end of the combat phase)? It came from a house clearance in the US at least 20 years ago now, not been messed about with or recently assembled.

Not selling it, but would like to have it valued (even just approximately).

Cheers,

Glen.

post-353-0-42019600-1571751551_thumb.jpg

It's in storage at present, Phil. Lightly used, not abused 60's liner, Infantry type. I've only ever had the cover off once before and there are Captain's bars scratched in the paint at the front, along with a name that I've forgotten in the meantime...

(complete with what looks like Vietnam red mud on the liner),

The red mud you speak of sounds indicative of Schofield Bks Hawaii. I remember that red mud being like an indelible stain on anything that came in contact with it. The "east range and kahuka's come to mind. Hell I still have gear stained with it after nearly 50 years LOL.

Red mud at Ft. Benning GA as well. Still have some on my gear from 20 years ago.

Helmets like this can still be found once in a while for under 75.00. I have three that I have bought in the last year from gun shows, online, etc for around that price. Airborne set about $125.00. Known history or authentic graffiti a little more. Of course a helmet with verifiable use in Vietnam ie a photograph of it in Vietnam with 100% visual confirmation will be substantially more. I am thinking a lot more of these will become available as the Vietnam generation starts passing away.

looks like what you would see at surplus stores back in the late 1980's - 1990's, still pretty common a swap meets

my estimate $40 in the US but maybe more overseas, sometimes less if found at a swap meet / yard sale

$8 less than me.

Meet in the middle.

$44 at the flea market.

it would make a good starter helmet for a new collector / reenanctor

I guess $43.98 would be a fair price since for a flea market find , no shipping or tax