Jay V

Latest Submariner Grouping

Hi Guys

Well after a long dry spell finally was lucky enough to obtain this small group of items that belonged to Capt. Charles Bishop.Tho nly down fall is that the Family yrs ago split the grouping up.Anyways hope you guys will enjoy this little group as much as me. Jay

Charles Birney Bishop

AUGUST 8, 1920 – JUNE 19, 2015

Captain Charles B. Bishop died on June 18th, 2015 in San Diego CA at the age of 94.

He was born 8 August 1920 in New Haven, Connecticut and raised there by his mother Kathleen.

He attended the U. S. Naval Academy, graduating 19 December 1941. During WWII he served aboard USS Cummings (DD-365), USS O-7 (SS-68) and USS Piranha (SS-389). After the war he continued in the Navy serving as XO, USS Segundo (SS 398), CO USS Barb, XO USS Samuel B. Roberts (DD-823), CO USS Baya (AGSS-318), CO USS Bashaw (SSK-241), CO USS Witek (EDD-848), CO USS Arneb (AKA-56) and Commander, Amphibious Squadron Seven. He served on the staffs of ONR, the CNO and NAVMAT in undersea R&D positions. He was instrumental in bringing the Deep Submergence Vehicle TRIESTE to the US and fostered the development of deep ocean exploration. His final tour was CO, Naval Undersea Center on Point Loma. After retirement he was the Assistant Director of the Marine Physical Laboratory, Scripps Institution of Oceanography for 15 years. He received the Roger Revelle Award in 2002 for his contributions to Ocean Science. He was a member of the Marine Technology Society and enjoyed community service including the San Diego Ocean Foundation and Boy Scout Troop 500.

He was predeceased by his wife of 68 years Alnora and is survived by his four children, five grandchildren, five great-grandchildren and by the second great love of his life Jane Walker. Services will be held at St Agnes Church at 9:30 AM on 9 July. Internment will be at Fort Rosecrans in a private ceremony. Donations in lieu of flowers may be made to the Wounded Warriors Foundation, the San Diego Ocean Foundation and Boy Scout Troop 500.

donation2012.gifdonation2007.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif
donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Really cool sub group Jay!

donation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Specific areas of collecting and buying interest:

WWI/WWII 40th (Sunshine) Division, Camp Kearny, Camp Harry Jones, WWI/WWII 158th Infantry, USS Oklahoma, USS Swordfish (SS-193), Pearl Harbor Survivors Association, Mexican Border (1916),

Norman Air Technical Training Center (NATTC) Norman, OK, Tinker Field or AFB, Submariner Items, Knives, Bayonets, Sweetheart Jewelry, other unique

or odd items with interesting stories.

Nice pickup Jay. You'll find those officer training accolades can be scarce on the market.

-Specializing in WWII (and earlier) Submarine material. Enthusiast of history and artifacts from all service branches.

donation2011.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2016.gif

Yes, the training paper is a real scarce item. Good grouping

***WANTED*** Uniforms to Pearl Harbor Survivors.

Wanted: USN uniforms to Pearl Harbor survivors & WWII sunk ship survivors. http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/264131-wanted-uniforms-to-pearl-harbor-and-sunk-ships-survivors/

WANTED - seriously interested in named Chief/Senior/Master TORPEDOMAN USN uniforms from the 1950s-1960s-1970s, and named USN jumpers or CPO coats from WWII. http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/321179-wanted-torpedoman-uniforms-named-1920s-1970s/

"All Torpedoes running Hot, Straight and Normal."

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Thanks P-40Warhawk its to bad the Officiers stuff was broking up and sold seperatly .At least I'm able to preserve these few items.

donation2012.gifdonation2007.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif
donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Hi Guys

Just wanted to up date you on this grouping,after almost 4 months i have tracked down a folder about 2 inches deep of photos,letters,sub pictures,etc. and this patch(diff. sources),slowly but surely reuniting the Captains stuff. Jay

post-564-0-31202400-1582070689.png

That's AWESOME Jay. Good job!

WWI/WWII 40th (Sunshine) Division, Camp Kearny, Camp Harry Jones, WWI/WWII 158th Infantry, USS Oklahoma, USS Swordfish (SS-193), Pearl Harbor Survivors Association, Mexican Border (1916),

Norman Air Technical Training Center (NATTC) Norman, OK, Tinker Field or AFB, Submariner Items, Knives, Bayonets, Sweetheart Jewelry, other unique

Thanks Matt, patience sometimes pay off. It still amaze's me why people break up groupings,in an ideal world things should be kept toghter to preserve the history of the ones whom sacrificed all for are freedom,Jay

I totally agree with you Jay. I don't understand breaking up a person's group either. At least you're attempting to reunite the pieces and apparently having some success.

Matt,i'm trying its been a long process,and the people whom have the items minus a few awesome sellers think they have a gold mine.Me I trying to preserve history,and Honor the service personal whom Gave All.

I wish everyone felt the same way you do Jay with regards to keeping a grouping together.

I have his USNA Dress Blues, couldn't pass it up.  A commendable WWII career, served under Fluckey and was later CO of the USS Barb (one of my favorite ships), and XO of the second Sammy B (I've got an original Sammy B survivor. Very cool.

Looking for the following:

452nd and 447th Bomb Group items

Anything 12th Armored- especially uniforms

155th Assault Helicopter Company, Camp Coryell, or Ban Me Thuot Vietnam items[/center]

WWII US Navy Uniforms from the Battle Off Samar: USS Johnston DD-557, USS Hoel DD-553, USS Samuel B. Roberts DE-413, USS Heermann DD-532, USS Dennis DE-405, USS John C. Butler DE-339, USS Raymond DE-341, USS Fanshaw Bay St. Lo, White Plains, Kalinin Bay, Kitkun Bay and Gambier Bay...

donation2011.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2019.gif