Calvin H. Burkhead- 304th Signal Batl.

illinigander

I recently purchased a decorated trunk that made reference to C.H. Burkhead as a WW1 member of the 304th Signal Batl. Inside the the trunk were two xerox copies making reference to Capt. C.H. Burkhead of the US Signal Corps. Both of these references place Burkhead being detailed to Alaska in 1922. He is credited with- the first radio broadcast "north of 53". He built this station. Any record of him in the 304th? I found nothing on google.

Illinigander

I can't help with the 304th research, but I really want to see this trunk. What an amazing piece of history. From a quick Google search, Capt. Burkhead was sent to Alaska, and Stationed here in Fairbanks. He was tasked with traveling around the state doing repairs on the WAMCATS system. I found the brief mention in a book on Google books called "Army Navy Air Force Register and Defense Times, Volume 72". It also gives a list of places he was supposed to visit in the territory. Hopefully you can find out about his WWI service. I'm sure someone here can help.