From the Library of LCI (L) 615

mikie

I found this book at my favorite local hangout, The Recycle Bookstore on Saturday. I'm always on the lookout for wartime dated books and the spine of this one on the shelf looked about right. Much to my surprise the book is rubber stamped all over with USS LCI (L) 615.

615 joined the fleet in 1944 and spent a lot of it's time during the war hauling troops to and from New Guinea and various places in the Philippines. Not much info on her, but she didn't see a lot of combat action. Right after the war she also moved troops back and forth to Korea and China.

But then things get interesting for a bit. She was a target ship for Test Able in Operation Crossroads, the atomic bomb testing at Bikini in July 1946. She survived just fine and stayed in the Navy till 1949.

No idea when this book was added to the ship library, but for only cost me 6 bucks, I thought it would be a cool addition to my bookshelf.

post-2687-0-63131000-1571687764_thumb.jpg

Mikie

• 1 month later...

I found an interesting companion to the book. It's a souvenir program for a dinner held at the New jersey Shipbuilding Co marking the completion of the contract to build LCI (L) ships for the Navy. This is the company that built LCI(L)-615. The inside is covered with about 50 autographs. Perhaps some of these folks actually built the ship!

post-2687-0-40221300-1576184520_thumb.jpg

post-2687-0-26188000-1576184544_thumb.jpg

It's fun making up little groups with a connection to one another.

Enjoy!

Mikie

Hi Rene. Yes, I've been wanting to redo my front yard but can't decide on a theme. An actual LCI(L) would pretty well cover it. As well as half the rest of my street.

Mikie