US Forces Dominican Republic Patch – I’m Confused

sfcollector

During 1965 and into 1966 U.S. forces were tasked with a mission to end the struggle for power amongst many political groups and prevent the establishment of communism in the Dominican Republic.

This below patch was made for the U.S. forces deployed on this mission.

What confuses me is that all the US Forces Dominican Republic patches that I’ve seen, like the example below, are merrowed edge instead of cut edge. I didn’t think merrowed edge patches were in use until the late 1960’s – early 1970’s, after the USFORDOMREP mission was completed in 1966.

Is the below patch authentic ? Do cut edge versions of this patch exist ?

Thank you in advance for clearing up my confusion.

Front -

post-6138-0-24990900-1571624740_thumb.jpg

Merrowed edge (ME) items have been around since the 1800s.. ME patches were worn during WW II. Use search feature to find posts. There is at least one photo showing the patch and tab being worn.

Nothing unusual about this one. DomRep was a small limited time frame action. Not surprising that with all the patch manufacturers still going strong then and recently that the patches would be ME.

Actually this is not an American patch it was an Origination of American States (abbreviated OEA in Spanish) patch. The US troops were given permission to wear it as a combat patch, it was never worn as unit patch by US troops and as far as I know unique among US Patches. The US troops were form the 82nd A/B and likely some support units. They left as soon as things settled down and various South American troops took over to keep the peace, you will see pictures of them wearing this patch too.

And this photo of MPs wearing the patch on their Duty Brassards, sometime in 1966, this unit the 218th Military Police Company was actually activated for the first time in the Dom Rep, December 10 1965,maybe that's why they're wearing this specific patch? The unit evedently is reassigned from the Dom Rep sometime in 1966 and goes to Ft Bragg, where it falls probably under XVIII Airborne Corps or 3rd Army, it goes to South Vietnam in January 1967.

post-34986-0-09625000-1492303805.jpg

One more shot of their Liners, a curious one as one man has his Company Number on the opposite side then the rest. Note too the lack of a cloth Tab and Decal Tab in both photos.

maxresdefault.jpg

Thank you everyone for the information !!! There are alot of great people participating in this Forum who are willing to take the time to share their expertise and knowledge. I am most appreciative.