Flea market pick up of what I thought was a WW2 USMC Raider stiletto

Tonomachi

I want to confirm that what I thought was a genuine WW2 USMC Raider Stiletto is actually a copy. I saw it at the flea market and not knowing that much about these knives I saw the CASE XX stamping and figured it was the real McCoy. I paid 75 dollar for it and when I got it home I checked the Internet and there was something about a barrel of original stiletto blades found at the factory which someone used to manufacture a number of reproductions a few of which were stamped with CASE XX. Is it true that Camillus was the only manufacture of these stilettos?

post-1389-0-48328000-1571602573_thumb.jpg

post-1389-0-28436700-1571602588_thumb.jpg

post-1389-0-31138600-1571602632_thumb.jpg

You are correct. An original WWII USMC raider stiletto should have double edge with central spine running right up to the cross guard with no ricasso.

Ken

I honestly don't recall ever seeing a CASE, Raider stiletto before. To my knowledge only Camillus produced them. Maybe someone with more info will chime in. Who's to say they did not make them for PX/ or civilian sales on a very limited basis, or even a few test versions for review. SKIP

I honestly don't recall ever seeing a CASE, Raider stiletto before. To my knowledge only Camillus produced them. Maybe someone with more info will chime in. Who's to say they did not make them for PX/ or civilian sales on a very limited basis, or even a few test versions for review. SKIP

Its one of the Commemorative copies.

Camillus was the only war time maker of the raider Knife.Both the company logo and USMC scroll were lightly etched into the blade and often it is missing.Handle material was also different on originals.

The Case logo is not that old.

Yes the story about a barrel of unfinished WW2 stiletto blades was at Camillus, and confirmed by a number of employees. Those blades are said to have been included in at least one commercial run of commemorative Raider Stiletto's.

The Case stiletto's are nicely made, just not for WW2.

• 2 years later...

Case actually was in the running for the WW2 Raider Stiletto contract, but as pointed out by others, only Camillus actually won production contracts. From what I can gather, the samples submitted by Case looked pretty much like the pictured commemorative version and that’s why they decided to produce them as such. So technically, they have some credibility in this design. Obviously, Case made a lot of other good knives during the war. Side 2 of the original WW2 Camillus production document (attached below) actually mentions W.R. Case under “Other Manufacturers”. I have seen a couple really nice Case versions with commemorative etchings such as Pearl Harbor memorial, etc… I think it is a beautiful and elegant design that reminds me of the British F/S with the pronounced ricasso.

EA391AD5-94C7-41D7-8480-64E0D0952909.jpeg

31E33DEB-834E-4841-8105-72F3AF049F66.png

On 10/20/2019 at 4:20 PM, Tonomachi said:

I want to confirm that what I thought was a genuine WW2 USMC Raider Stiletto is actually a copy. I saw it at the flea market and not knowing that much about these knives I saw the CASE XX stamping and figured it was the real McCoy. I paid 75 dollar for it and when I got it home I checked the Internet and there was something about a barrel of original stiletto blades found at the factory which someone used to manufacture a number of reproductions a few of which were stamped with CASE XX. Is it true that Camillus was the only manufacture of these stilettos?

On 10/20/2019 at 4:20 PM, Tonomachi said:

what you have here is a nice reproduction i have one by CASE called THE DEVIL'S BRIGADE