442nd Go For Broke Purple Heart & Bronze Star certificates Platoon Leader

Bob Hudson

3.jpg

Picked these up today at a shop that was in the process of breaking up what looked like an interesting grouping from an Army Officer who was decorated in Korea while with the 5th Regimental Combat Team and in WWII when he was a platoon leader in the 442nd "Go For Broke" Infantry Regiment. There are six certificates and someone had used masking tape to put them in a matt for display in a frame. Neither the tape nor matt are archival and the certificates were overlapped so you could not read everything. Luckily I was able to get them out of the matt. The backs have some tape residue:

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Can you imagine what this guys medal rack looks like

Sadly, the medals went another direction. There was a tan uniform jacket with sewn-on ribbons, but two rows of those were missing.

I'm wondering about the Air Force medals he received in Korea: what did an infantry officer do to get 2 Air Medals and an Air Force Commendaton medal?

The PH certificate says he was wouned 18 July 1944. Wikipedia reports: "For the first three weeks of July, the 442nd and its 1st Battalion, the 100th, were constantly attacking German forces, leading to 1,100 enemy killed and 331 captured."

I did get his M-1943 field jacket too - made in 1945, it has his 5th Regimental Combat Team former wartime service patch on the right shoulder.

1.jpg

4.jpg

My Dad was Co C 5th RCT ! He was evacuated out 1951 though after he was seriously wounded ! Wonder if they knew each other ? Great group love 5th RCT stuff !

My Dad was Co C 5th RCT ! He was evacuated out 1951 though after he was seriously wounded ! Wonder if they knew each other ? Great group love 5th RCT stuff !

What was his last name?

My Dad must have served under him ! Co C 1950-1951 ,

Wounded Oct 30 1950

I think that's true: I know Porter was in Korea at least by January 1951.

They must have pulled the certificates down from EBay too. I had them on my watchlist.

Kurt

I did not see that listing but I do wonder how they planned to ship it? It took me almost two hours to remove the tape and separate them. You can see shadows left by the non-archival matt.

As I mentioned, I was told the medals were already gone and think they sold within hours of arriving at this shop.

I bet Ebay cancelled the auction due to the PH certificate, The opening bid on Ebay was $290 . Its gone completely from their server.

Kurt

I bet Ebay cancelled the auction due to the PH certificate, The opening bid on Ebay was $290 . Its gone completely from their server.

Kurt

You may be right: I paid nothing near that so they may have decided to take what they could from a walk-in since they couldn't sell it on ebay.

I found out who has the medals - he's got the wrong ID on them though: he has them belonging to an Air Corps guy, not infantry as it should be. It looks like the PH is not engraved but some of the others are:

Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 9.16.28 AM.png

I found them with 442nd items and some Korean war . I now know they belong together. Thought it was just a coincidence. It stikes me as odd, why he didn't mention he had the certificates when I purchased the medals. He seemed hesitant to disclose anything about vet.

I found them with 442nd items and some Korean war . I now know they belong together. Thought it was just a coincidence. It stikes me as odd, why he didn't mention he had the certificates when I purchased the medals. He seemed hesitant to disclose anything about vet.

Did you get those in Vista or Fallbrook?