Ft Riley M1 helmet liner painted & Cavalry School decal

Bob Hudson

1.jpg

This came tucked inside a weathered M1 steel pot. The unit crest says "Mobilitate Vigemus" (basically “OUR STRENGTH IS IN MOBILITY."

This crest was originally for The Cavalry School at Fort Riley, Kansas, which changed mission in 1946:

In 1946, with the passing into history of all horse units, the War De-

partment ordered the Cavalry School at Fort Riley redesignated the Ground
General School. Among its missions were the training of all newly com-
missioned officers in basic military subjects, the conduct of an Army
Officer Candidate Course, the training of officers and enlisted men in
intelligence techniques and methods, and the preparation and conduct of
non-resident correspondence courses in intelligence and basic military
subjects. Aggressor, the mythical maneuver enemy of U.S. Forces, was
developed as a vital part of the school. The school was redesignated the
Army General School, January 1, 1950, and it assumed most of the mis-
sions of the Ground General School.

So is this from the CAVALRY SCHOOL or the GROUND GENERAL SCHOOL? Not sure that can be determined.

1a.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

9.jpg

One chinstrap is broken but it broke at place where it stays put and in not visible from the outside:

8.jpg

I will need to determine if this style of unit crest was used after 1946 when the Cavalry school became the Ground General School or was it changed at all?

The one quote above says "Aggressor, the mythical maneuver enemy of U.S. Forces, was developed as a vital part of the school." Could this have been some sort of referee's helmet? It certainly has high visibility!

I found a couple of online images relating to this including an Infantry OCS book using this same unit crest long after The Cavalry School was shut down. I also found s helmet with the crest. I would like it to be a Cavalry School liner, but I'm now leaning toward OCS at Fort Riley. There is a tradition of similar style of painted liners for OCS staff, but I see nothing like that in old photos of the Cavalry School: it looks like the instructors wore campaign hats.

Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 8.27.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 8.12.32 AM.png

Today I found a certificate for the Army General School at Fort Riley, named to the officer's whose estate this came from - another officer is named inside the liner.

5004.jpg

Bob, I had looked at this very same topic a couple of months ago regarding this identified helmet. While I do not have all his records, he did enlist in 946 and I came to the conclusion that this was a post WWII OCS decal. Here is his helmet.

post-3673-0-22570600-1571784956.jpg