60mm mortar rounds

colt thompson

They also made an rifle adapter  that attached to the mortar round directly for the jungle but it never went into full production. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/20/2020 at 5:06 AM, Johan Willaert said:

Just bumping this with a question...
The manual states the M83 Illuminating shell was packed in a fiber container...

Does anyone know the nomenclature of the said fiber tube container? Any markings on the cap end?

Any photos available?

Thx

Browninggunner688

Very interesting thread, I have a few ww2 HE 60mm rounds and I am at the moment trying to restore a WW2 m38a1 illumination round, I have the complete lower body and fin assembly and a complete nose assembly, could someone please measure the length of the tube body for me, I have a tube that's perfect diameter wise but I cannot find the length for just the middle section. Sorry if I have hijacked this thread but I didn't know where else to ask. Thank you.

Nick.

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/2/2020 at 6:20 PM, Browninggunner688 said:

Very interesting thread, I have a few ww2 HE 60mm rounds and I am at the moment trying to restore a WW2 m38a1 illumination round, I have the complete lower body and fin assembly and a complete nose assembly, could someone please measure the length of the tube body for me, I have a tube that's perfect diameter wise but I cannot find the length for just the middle section. Sorry if I have hijacked this thread but I didn't know where else to ask. Thank you.

Nick.

IMG_8167.jpg

IMG_8166.jpg

IMG_8165.jpg

Browninggunner688

DUSMCN. Thank you very much, I really appreciate your help. I can get on with making a tube now to the correct length.

Nick.

• 1 month later...
On 11/2/2020 at 1:24 PM, Browninggunner688 said:

DUSMCN. Thank you very much, I really appreciate your help. I can get on with making a tube now to the correct length.

Nick.

I just restored 7 of them.  I can shoot you some pics if you would like?

BTW i should have sent it in imperial not colonial units.

Browninggunner688

Hi DUSMCN.

No worries, I managed to get the correct measurements right. Yes, please send some pictures, I can then see where I perhaps screwed up with restoring it, I know the grey colour on mine is wrong as I could not get hold of the correct grey.

Nick.

• 3 weeks later...
milsurp_scout_14

I've recently stumbled into some ordnance and begun going down that collecting rabbit trail. Saved a couple mortar rounds--one is a 60mm M49A2 round marked 'Inert Loaded w/o fuze', dated December 1967. The other was turned into a fantastic lamp at some point; it is marked M52 on the fuze...I'm going to hazard a guess this one is an 81mm.

101_9302.JPG

101_9306.JPG

101_9307.JPG

101_9309.JPG