1944 canteen cover

kwc271

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone has seen or if there is any such thing as a US made 1944 dated canteen cover? The only ones I’ve encountered were British Made for the US. I’m trying to complete a set of covers from 41-45 but I need one dated 44. Can anyone help? Thank you!

Kevin

They exist, however aren't very common. Search the forum, and there are quite a few threads about them, listing several makers.

One that sold recently on eBay....they definitely command a premium.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-US-Canteen-Cover-Oversized-JQMD-1944-/153634192013?hash=item23c54fba8d%3Ag%3AJdkAAOSwZ7Vdcp%7E5&nma=true&si=%252Bb5yP6GNQqsFbpmB62QLMhBj%252BPw%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

post-29885-0-11269700-1571406725_thumb.jpg

That Jeff. Q.M.D. example from ebay sold at a high price because they are the oversized ones with the hidden compartment in the bottom for E&E materials. Not your run-of-the-mill canteen cover.

Here's an OD #7 Cover made at Jeffersonville in 1943, more scarce than even the '44s.

The '43-'44 Covers are out there, but theydon't come easily.

post-3226-0-83570900-1571469618.jpg

Here's an OD #7 Cover made at Jeffersonville in 1943, more scarce than even the '44s.

The '43-'44 Covers are out there, but theydon't come easily.

here is mine in also mint condition

Leo

post-151900-0-99612000-1571516275_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...

Here are informations I collected over the years about this subject ...

Existing 1944 dated canteen covers (Normal model) :

JEFF. Q. M. D. 

Existing 1944 dated canteen covers (Reinforced late war model) :

AIRTRESS MIDLAND

COLLETTE Mfg. COMPANY

GATES Mfg. Co.

J. Q. M. D. (or JEFF Q.M.D.)

SHANE Mfg. Co.

Still need evidence for these 1944 dated canteen covers (if someone could help) :

J. A. SHOE (Normal model)

ST. CROIX G. Co. (Normal model)

Hello, 

I have a cover made by MIDWEST DUCK & CANVAS CO. and dated 1944. 

On 12/27/2023 at 12:42 AM, Mithril said:

Here are informations I collected over the years about this subject ...

Existing 1944 dated canteen covers (Normal model) :

JEFF. Q. M. D. 

Existing 1944 dated canteen covers (Reinforced late war model) :

AIRTRESS MIDLAND

COLLETTE Mfg. COMPANY

GATES Mfg. Co.

J. Q. M. D. (or JEFF Q.M.D.)

SHANE Mfg. Co.

Still need evidence for these 1944 dated canteen covers (if someone could help) :

J. A. SHOE (Normal model)

ST. CROIX G. Co. (Normal model)

DSC_3147.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Great item FN43,

By the way, I am unsure about the marking ... Did you found it by yourself or does it come from some collector before ?

I dont really like the way yours is stamped with these extra inked lines on left and right of 1944. 

I never find any record about Mid-West Duck & Canvas Co. as a maker for these items. They build :

M-1924 first-aid pouches in 1942

M-1942 first-aid pouches in 1942 and 1943

M-1923 belts for Garand in 1943

USM1 magazines pouches in 1942 and 1943

Be sure I am not some kind of jealous guy but I recorded very few late war 1944 covers without the reinforced strap. Usually 1944 dated covers are with this reinforced strap. I own myself a unrenforced JEFF QMD 1944 and I only hear about some possibly existing J A Shoe + St Croix G CO. both 1944 dated but without any more evidence at this time.

FN43, by checking the webb about your cover markings, I just found this other item, obviously a WW2 british army belt and revolver hoster, with the same "Mid-West Duck & Canvas Co. 1944"  marking than your cover.

At my knowledge, this maker never produced items for the british army so I am personnally convinced this particular stamp has been make years ago by a collector/seller to increase the price of some of its unmarked items. I am sad to think your cover also received this stamp.

copie.jpg

21 hours ago, Mithril said:

Great item FN43,

By the way, I am unsure about the marking ... Did you found it by yourself or does it come from some collector before ?

I dont really like the way yours is stamped with these extra inked lines on left and right of 1944. 

I never find any record about Mid-West Duck & Canvas Co. as a maker for these items. They build :

M-1924 first-aid pouches in 1942

M-1942 first-aid pouches in 1942 and 1943

M-1923 belts for Garand in 1943

USM1 magazines pouches in 1942 and 1943

Be sure I am not some kind of jealous guy but I recorded very few late war 1944 covers without the reinforced strap. Usually 1944 dated covers are with this reinforced strap. I own myself a unrenforced JEFF QMD 1944 and I only hear about some possibly existing J A Shoe + St Croix G CO. both 1944 dated but without any more evidence at this time.

Your comments are interesting. 

I did not find this canteen myself and I am surprised if it is a fake marking since : 
- I got this canteen several years ago at a normal price that didn't take the date into account, 
- and the wear of the marking matches that of the rest of the gourd. 
But your arguments are pertinent and it's true that these two features are strange. The marking on this English belt is similar and undoubtedly added after the war, so I'm not 100% certain but I think you're right. 

Where do you get the list of equipment produced by this manufacturer? Is it from your own experience? 
After some research on the Internet, I also found photos of the items you mention with this marking. 

I myself have a cartridge belt for which I have no doubts. 

DSC_5391 copie.JPG

Where do you get the list of equipment produced by this manufacturer? Is it from your own experience ? YES, I did it by myself over the years ... And be sure there is a whole bunch of makers for canteens covers ...

I am collecting all WW2 US equipment used by troops on ETO, by model, maker and date ... 

I am also 100% convinced by your cartridge belt. Here is mine, obviously the same ...

416899738_896483992187113_1249234988307260765_n.jpg