Removing pins from M3 pommel

barryeye

Gentleman. I was recently given an almost relic condition blade dated and marked PAL M3. It is my intention to restore it as best I can. Whilst it will never be collectors condition, I think it deserves it. I have a donor handle but need guidence on removing the pins in the pommel. Are the pins tapered and best punched through from one side? In a perfect world I'd like to reuse them. Guess that might be pushing it. Any advice on removing them with the minimum of damage would be much appreciated.

post-154298-0-64456600-1571365940_thumb.jpg

Kroil maybe enough to loosen the corrosion. If it was me I'd consider treating it with electrolysis first to remove the rust. If that's too inconvenient a small batch of evapo-rust would be my next choice.

I don't believe the pins are tapered. Tom Williams told me that during WW2 construction the pins Camillus used for these and other knives were cut off nails.

Couple different ways....... #1, Put it in a vise, heat with a small propane torch, drive the pins out. The quicker you can heat the pommel the better. The object is to expand the pommel with heat before the pins expand.

Or..... #2, again, heat the pommel, then emerce the pommel in cold water. The theory here is that the sudden change in temp. will reduce the expansion caused by heating quickly, hence breaking the rusty bond.

My 2 cents.

Everything stated above sounds good. As sactroop stated small nails were used as the pins holding the pommel to the tang. Keep us informed, we'd like to see the progress you make. THX SKIP

Thank you gentleman for your most helpful responses. I will keep you in the loop and no doubt be back with more questions.