HB-7 ear cushions search

AZPhil

Heello Gent's,

I have a HB-7 headset that is missiong the ear cushions. I would like to find a pair that are the larger rubber one.

Does anybody know a source. I looked on Ebay and slim picking for the earllier rubber one. So if anybody has a lead even if the are repro's, I would be very grateful for your assisatnce. I have a crusher cap coming and I would like to do a B-17 pilot set up..

Thanks in Advance

Semper Fi

Phil

Hey Phil

There is/was a gentleman in the UK putting out repro cushions for flight helmets and headsets...guys on the Vintage leather jackets forum would know...and maybe a few here too...I purchased RAF type c earcups from him...excellent..but sadly lost his contact info

Thank you Phantomfixer. I registered and I'll see what I can find.

Will they mind that I don't have a vintage leather jacket? I have one but its not vintage just 2000's..

I appreciate the tip.

Semper Fi

Phil

No I have a set of those on another headset I have. I'm looking for this type being worn by this 545th B-17 pilot.

post-11740-0-81981300-1571289594_thumb.jpg

This pilot was killed on April 13th 1944 while on a bombing mission to Schweinfurt. I would like to honor him with this set up.

My Uncle Joe was also shot down that day. He became a guest of the Germany for the duration in Stalag 17B

I believe these are the early rubber type he is wearing on that headset. If I'm wrong , Please correct me . I'm willing to learn something about them..

Thanks for looking.

Semper Fi

Phil

I believe this is the style he is looking for...they are chocolate brown, and soft foam rubber...and very hard to find in good condition

post-155518-0-04878000-1571400985.jpg

post-155518-0-90553800-1571400995.jpg

Thank you once again Phantomfixer.

Yes those are the type I am looking for.

I did post on the vintage leather site under the section "Flight DecK" Got one reply saying they will keep and eye out if seen.

Semper Fi

Phil

• 7 months later...

Hi Phil, Chris Wilkinson here. I very recently bought a pair of reproduction rubber earphones from someone here in the States. Another person has begun production of the same design as well. They look the part and are very well made. I'll send you a note on Facebook Messenger to verify if you're still interested.

Hello All.  The way I read this there is someone that is reproducing the foam ear cushions?  I'm in the need for one cushion to repair an A9 flight helmet to a P-38 KIA pilot.  I've had this helmet for a long time searching for one, I just don't have the heart to salvage one cushion from a good headset.  If they are available I would really like to contact the person.  Thank you, Gregg

Hello gparlin,

This Gent mentioned above has reproduction ear cushions that that fit on the HB-7 headset. I'm in the process of getting a pair of the brown one(His last pair of those). I'm not sure if he makes the ear cushions that would be found in a A-9 flight helmet. My A-9 does not have ear cushions. This must of been a flight equipment modification. 

These are ones he has reproductions of,  He said these are the brown ones , But the pic makes them look darker than they are. He does have a black set still available. He does mention these have small bubble imperfection.

Not sure if these would help you???

Semper Fi

Phil

1212472155_HB-7brownearcupsback.JPG.a74d585ace8b9d27ed26fa96411a5981.JPG722004597_HB-7earcupsfront.JPG.e38cd9a68685af959647d9651a8532b2.JPG

Gparlin, The A-9s were occasionally modified for receivers but those I have had leather pockets sewn on or have leather patches holding gossport tubes for training flights. I have seen nothing on this thread that would work unless it is a one-off tape job or something like that. Might be interesting - could you post pics?

Dave

Phil, sorry that this is going in another direction then you intended.  The black would work, how do I get hold of this "Gent"?  I'm hoping that I don't have a join a FB group, I really don't care for FB, I'm only a member to stay in touch with old drag racing friends.

Dave, I'm attaching the photos.  I've have owned several rigger or pilot modified helmets over the years, I still have several that I felt are special.  Since most enjoy modified flight helmets and gear I thought that I would include a photo of the chin strap.  

Gregg

USMF arhtur helmet (2).jpg

USMF arthur helmet 2 (2).jpg

USMF arthur helmet 3 (2).jpg

USMF arthur helmet (2).jpg

Very cool. Especially with the story! Wouldn't be too difficult of a restoration. Looks like those would work after all.

Dave

25 minutes ago, gparlin said:

Phil, sorry that this is going in another direction then you intended.  The black would work, how do I get hold of this "Gent"?  I'm hoping that I don't have a join a FB group, I really don't care for FB, I'm only a member to stay in touch with old drag racing friends.

Dave, I'm attaching the photos.  I've have owned several rigger or pilot modified helmets over the years, I still have several that I felt are special.  Since most enjoy modified flight helmets and gear I thought that I would include a photo of the chin strap.  

Gregg

USMF arhtur helmet (2).jpg

USMF arthur helmet 2 (2).jpg

USMF arthur helmet 3 (2).jpg

USMF arthur helmet (2).jpg

Hello gparlin,

I just sent him an email to complete my transaction and asked if he minded that I give his email addy to you. As soon as he replies. I shall provide it to you.

Nice flight helmet!!!

Semper Fi

Phil

phantomfixer

Gparlin...I have one cushion from a modified B-6 helmet, that will work for you...PM if interested...it is a foam HS33 cushion removed from a roached B6...complete with the stitch holes...

IMG_3422.JPG